'Hawks to take on Falcons

Senior defenseman Vincent LoVerde winds up for a shot on goal Nov. 13 against University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

Senior defenseman Vincent LoVerde winds up for a shot on goal Nov. 13 against University of Alaska Fairbanks. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

The national standings and rankings continue to shuffle. Miami University men's ice hockey dropped to No. 6 in the national polls, down three spots following a split with No. 13 University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF).

"Inconsistency is the name of the game around the country right now," Head Coach Enrico Blasi said. "Everybody's looking for consistency. I think you'll see that throughout the year, it's probably going to be a revolving door."

The RedHawks will head north to Bowling Green State University (BGSU) to face off against former Miami Assistant Coach Chris Bergeron who is now at the helm for the Falcons.

Bowling Green has gone 5-7-0 overall this season, and 2-6-0 in the conference under their new head coach. While their record doesn't show it, they have put together hard-fought games against top teams like the University of Notre Dame and Northern Michigan University.

Assistant Captain Will Weber returned to the team during the UAF series, coming back from an Oct. 23 neck injury. Weber and the Red and White know Bowling Green is going to be a tough series.

"They're going to work hard, they're going to be good on special teams," Weber said. "(Bergeron) knows our team pretty well, so he's going to know our weaknesses. He's going to have his guys prepared for everything we throw at them."

The 'Hawks capitalized on the power play against UAF, with both goals Saturday coming with a man advantage. The Falcons have averaged more than 17 penalty minutes per game this season, so it will continue to be important for Miami to take advantage of those opportunities.

The team is looking forward to seeing Bergeron this weekend.

"He's a high-energy guy, so it will be a weird feeling seeing him on the other bench, but it will be fun," Weber said.

In addition to coaching the RedHawks for 10 seasons, Bergeron also attended Miami in the early 90s, playing as a member of The Brotherhood alongside Blasi.

"One's going to lose," Blasi said. "At the end of the day, we're still real good friends and I know they'll be ready and we'll be ready and it should be a fun weekend."

The RedHawks take on the Falcons in Bowling Green at 7:05 p.m. Nov. 19 and 20.