’Hawks tie Kent State, defeat Ohio

Photo by Connor Moriarty

By Justin Woods, For The Miami Student

After settling for its first tie of the season against Kent State University (7-4-3) Friday, Miami University soccer rediscovered its familiar winning ways against rival Ohio University (6-8) Sunday. Miami is now 10-2-1 overall and 4-1-1 in the Mid-American Conference.

Kelsey Dinges set the RedHawks in motion Friday with a header goal in the 30th minute that was assisted by Shannon Stearns off a Jess Bronke throw-in. The Kent State Golden Flashes answered within the minute to level the match at 1-1, a score that would hold until the final whistle.

"It was a little disappointing not to get the win at Kent because I thought we were the better team," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "We probably should have taken a second goal, but that is a difficult place to play. Any Kent points are good points."

The 'Hawks came flying out of the gate Sunday in Athens with a Maggie Scott goal in the third minute. Jenna Weiner added to the Miami cause in the second half as the RedHawks ousted the Bobcats 2-0 in the soccer incarnation of the historic and heated Battle of the Bricks rivalry.

"On Sunday we managed the game very well and turned in a professional effort," Kramig said. "Maggie's goal was just class - what a great finish with her head. And Jenna finished it off nicely for us. Those were two well-taken goals and it was good to get the shutout."

The win over Ohio was Miami's fourth 2-0 victory in its past five games. Weiner, a sophomore midfielder, was happy to secure the win with that all-important second goal Miami has been finding with regularity.

"We were only up 1-0, so I think getting that second goal was really important," Weiner said. "Plus it was OU and it's always nice beating them."

The four weekend points put the RedHawks just one point behind MAC leader University at Buffalo. Hot on Miami's tale are Eastern Michigan University, Northern Illinois University and Western Michigan University, who are all within three points (the point value given for a win).

"[The standings] are very, very tight," Kramig said. "But that's the MAC. That's what makes it a great conference."

Miami still controls its own MAC destiny as the 'Hawks meet the Buffalo Bulls Oct. 26, but Kramig is not looking past next weekend's challenges.

"It's way too early to start thinking about Buffalo when you've got two good teams in Northern Illinois and Western Michigan coming into town next weekend," Kramig said. "You just have to take a methodical approach and stay on task. You have to focus on what you're doing and not worry about anything else."

Miami carries a five match unbeaten streak into its weekend matchups. The RedHawks host Northern Illinois University 4 p.m. Friday and Western Michigan University 1 p.m. Sunday.