‘Hawks sweep Midland

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

In its last series before opening conference play, the Miami University women's hockey team eviscerated Midland University 12-1 and 14-1 this weekend.

"It's tough when you're playing against an overmatched team," head coach Scott Hicks said. "We'll use this weekend to build to conference and focus on the little things."

Miami (4-0) had its way with the Warriors (0-4) in the first period Friday night as it found the back of the net on six occasions with goals from sophomore forward Cassidy Guthrie, sophomore forward Katie Augustine, freshman forward Carly Noble, junior defender Jessica Gould, freshman defender Becca Senden and freshman forward Sarah Landkowski.

The 'Hawks lived in the offensive zone in the period as it did most of the night as they had the advantage in shots for the period 24-2.

The offense cooled in the second period as it only recorded three goals on 18 shots. Two of those goals came from junior forward Haley Williams and Augustine added a shorthanded tally.

Midland finally got on the board in the third as the puck sneaked past sophomore goaltender Emalee Wills to put the score at 9-1. The Red and White responded with three more goals in the period as Williams picked her third, Noble her second, and sophomore forward Kaley Mooney her first on the night.

Also contributing were sophomore forward Rachael Booth and freshman forward Katie Baldwin as their three assists apiece helped facilitate scoring opportunities for the RedHawks. Wills stopped 11 of the 12 shots she faced and now has a 2-0 record on the season. However, the team was unable to cash in on four power plays, while players served eight minutes in the penalty box.

"We did a good job early," Hicks said. "We need to improve our communication, our decision-making with the puck and play for 60 minutes. We buried most of our opportunities and we're scoring at will, which is encouraging. Our third line shows a lot of promise after tonight."

Guthrie, Smith, Baldwin and Williams opened up the scoring in the first period Saturday before the Warriors found the back of the net. Noble made amends for the surrendered goal as she recorded an unassisted goal before the period ended. The Miami offense kept its pace up by posting a 24-2 shot advantage in the period.

The 'Hawks were relentless in the second as Booth, Hanson, Gould, Augustine and Noble each tallied a goal as the team outshot Midland 29-4 in the period. Guthrie, Booth, Baldwin and Mooney all scored in the third as the home team had the 19-5 shot advantage and a 72-11 advantage overall.

Williams led the team in assists with four in the game while Mooney had three and three other players had two. However, the team was 1-7 on the power play and had players in the penalty box for eight minutes.

"It was a new team," Williams said. "We have to find a way to go as hard as we can and treat them like they're our rivals. We tried hard and played for each other, but at times we need to figure out when to relax and when to keep our intensity up. We have some new girls, so we need to keep playing and building our team chemistry."

The RedHawks return to action October 17-18 when they host the University of Michigan.