'Hawks snatch home victory

Senior Thomas Merriweather flips into the end zone for the game winning touchdown in Miami University’s game against Eastern Michigan University Sept. 11.

JM Rieger

Senior Thomas Merriweather flips into the end zone for the game winning touchdown in Miami University’s game against Eastern Michigan University Sept. 11. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

Coming off a tough defeat against Florida, the Miami University football team bounced back Sept. 11 and won their first conference opener since 2007, defeating Eastern Michigan University (EMU) 28-21.

Senior running back Thomas Merriweather had over 100 yards rushing for only the second time in his career to go with three touchdowns, tying his career high and helping the RedHawks get their first win of the season.

Merriweather, who was not supposed to start the game and was supposed to be out until the 8:51 mark in the second quarter due to his ejection the previous week in the Florida game, ended up starting the game at tailback for Miami. During the week, the RedHawks received a phone call from the head of the Big Ten officials (who also are in charge of the Mid-American Conference officials) stating Merriweather was cleared to play the entire game against EMU.

"I was really excited (when I heard the news)," Merriweather said. "I didn't think that I was going to play, but I am always trying to prove something to the coaches and this was a great opportunity for me to do that."

Meanwhile, Miami's defense dominated the game once again, limiting the Eagles to 66 total rushing yards after this same EMU team racked up 285 yards on the ground the previous week. This forced the Eagles to revert to their passing game, and although they threw for 256 yards in the game, they also had three interceptions, allowing the RedHawks to win the turnover battle.

"We ran a lot of different schemes and blitz plays on them," redshirt junior linebacker Jerrell Wedge said. "The (defensive) line did a good job of getting pressure in the pocket. We are very confident (after this game) and we feel like we can stop the run with any team."

Miami got off to a quick 7-0 lead, driving down the field quickly and methodically to start off the game, while only throwing one pass. EMU responded toward the end of the first quarter with a touchdown of their own on a lateral pass from senior tight end Josh LeDuc to sophomore wide receiver Kinsman Thomas, who was wide open after a blown coverage in the RedHawk secondary.

After tying 14-14 at the half, EMU once again capitalized on a blown coverage midway through the third quarter to take the lead 21-14. However, Miami scored in the third and fourth quarter on two Merriweather touchdowns to take a 28-21 lead with just over nine minutes left in the fourth.

EMU had one final opportunity to tie the game up, but senior safety Jordan Gafford batted down a pass in the endzone on 4th and 11 to seal the victory for the RedHawks.

"Jordan Gafford knocking down the ball rather than intercepting the pass (on the goal line) was one of the smartest plays I have ever seen," Head Coach Michael Haywood said. "That was the most important play of the game. Our defense did a really good job today and Coach (Carl) Reese put a lot of pressure on their quarterback."

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Zac Dysert had another good game for the RedHawks. Although he only threw for 164 yards to go with one touchdown and one pick, he kept EMU off balance on defense with his legs, as he ran nine times for 58 yards on Saturday.

Ultimately though, this win against EMU is just another game in the eyes of the RedHawks.

"It is one of 12 games, and that is what we keep telling our guys," Haywood said. "We need to change the culture here and I think we are making those changes. We tell our players that the scoreboard doesn't matter; it is the one-on-one match ups that matter. I saw a lot of progress today, especially in the third and fourth quarter, and I think we are becoming better football players."

Miami's next game will be against the Colorado State Rams Sept. 18 at Yager Stadium.