'Hawks sink in MAC meets

Michael Solomon

After strong performances against the University of Cincinnati last weekend, the Miami University men's and women's swimming and diving teams headed into their first MAC meets of 2010. The women's swim team, the top ranked mid-major team in the country, was defeated by Ohio University 167.5-132.5 Saturday, while the men fell to the University at Buffalo 160-131. The loss to Ohio dropped the women's dual meet record to 6-4, and 3-2 in the MAC. The men fell to 3-5-1 in dual meets, and 1-2 in the MAC.

Although the RedHawks were defeated by Ohio, five Miami women's swimmers finished first in their events. Freshman Leah Thornton, juniors Kelsey Vehr and Megan Brunn and senior Kasey Carpenter won their events for the RedHawks. Carpenter set a season-best time in the 200-yard backstroke, clocking in at 2:02.40. The Red and White also earned 16 points from the diving core of freshman Danica Roskos, senior Kelsey Anagnos and senior Rachel Smith, who finished 1-2-3 respectively in the three-meter diving competition.

It was a tough trip to Athens, Ohio, but the women's swimmers and divers can take some things out of the meet going into next weekend's meet with Eastern Michigan University.

"Our dual meet against Ohio has taught us that things aren't always going to go the way we plan," senior Allison Way said. "We went into the Ohio meet with a great attitude and ready to compete. Since things didn't go our way, we are taking that dual meet as a practice for overcoming the challenges ahead."

The next two meets against Eastern Michigan and Ball State are important for the RedHawks as the MAC conference meet (at Miami) is less than a month away.

"As Coach Mark Davis told us, all the work has been put in already and the rest of the season relies on details," Vehr said. "In the upcoming meets against Eastern and Ball State we will work as a team to have the fastest starts, streamlines, turns, and finishes. We also will be focusing on coming together as a team, having fun and believing in each other because in the end that is what will win the MAC Championship."

The men's swimming and diving teams headed into their meet with Buffalo after earning a rare tie with Cincinnati last weekend at the Corwin M. Nixon Aquatic Center. Though three swimmers and a diver captured first place in their events, the men fell to Buffalo 160-131. Senior Dave Brown took first place in the 200-yard freestyle, clocking in at a season-best time of 1:42.64. In the same event, freshman Anderson Whipp finished third in his season-best time of 1:42.97.

Miami's Chris Gunnels and Jason Hass also won their events, the 100-yard backstroke and 200-yard IM respectively. The 'Hawks also saw a 1-2 finish in the three-meter diving event, with divers Cameron Horner and Chris Hoppler taking top honors.

Both teams take on Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m. at the Nixon Aquatic Center.