'Hawks ready for MAC-filled weekend

Freshman outfielder Jordan McElroy has adapted well to her position at the top of the lineup.

Sam Hitchcock

Freshman Jessica Simpson reminded the RedHawks Saturday why she is their go-to pitcher. Winning the first game of the doubleheader against Central Michigan University with seven nearly perfect innings, she helped the 'Hawks in game two keep their stronghold on the Chippewas with another impressive performance in relief. Both wins helped cap a successful road trip in which Miami University went 4-2.

The 'Hawks return to Oxford Friday to face the division-leading Kent State University Golden Flashes and the 16-9 overall University at Buffalo Bulls. The RedHawks defeated Buffalo emphatically earlier in the season but know they will face a much tougher, more resilient Buffalo team than the one they faced at the beginning of the year.

"I think the games against them (Central Michigan) helped prepare me for the next few days," Simpson said. "I was very excited to beat a team like Central Michigan because they're always really good. It really got me pumped up for the rest of the season."

The RedHawks come into the homestretch with hot bats averaging nearly five runs a game in their past three games. A lot of this success can be chalked up to leadoff hitter Jordan McElroy who is swinging an astounding .352 batting average. McElroy leads the team in battings as well as hits (31) and runs (22). McElroy can thank that major punch in the middle for her lead in runs as the RedHawks 3-4-5 hitters are as potent as any team's in the MAC. Between Meghan Mawn, Sarah Billstrom and Jenna McGivney, they showcase an impressive 43 RBI's and four home runs. What makes this even more stunning is when you compare those three to the rest of the six hitters, the cleanup has nine more RBI's (43-34) and all of the home runs hit. What this trifecta produces is pitchers feeling uncomfortable in walking any of them giving each player better pitches.

Buffalo has some power in its lineup as well with Kristin Waldron leading her team as a freshman. Waldron's bat has been sizzling as she is batting .354 on the season and leads her team with 20 RBI's. Her sweet swing has the entire MAC on notice as well as the RedHawks will try to silence it as much as they can. Kent State poses a different threat however, as its pitcher Kylie Reynolds has proven to be a lockdown pitcher for the Golden Flashes. Buffalo will be the first to tell you that as Reynolds let up only one run in back to back games against the Bulls.

"We want to make them throw strikes," said Miami head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly. "We've faced some really talented pitchers this season, and everyone makes mistakes and we want to be there to capitalize on them."

There is no question the RedHawks head into Friday with some momentum, but they're not about to look past either conferenceopponent.

"We play 22 games in the conference, " Schoenly said. "We try not to get stuck on one opponent. We are playing well and we want to win the games. We want to stay on our hot streak and continue our good hitting and pitching performances. Hopefully we can continually get better so that we will be ready at the end."