'Hawks look to start CCHA play on high note

Connor Knapp stops a shot by University of New Hampshire’s Dalton Speelman Oct. 9.

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

Connor Knapp stops a shot by University of New Hampshire’s Dalton Speelman Oct. 9. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

Coming off a successful road series against St. Cloud State University, which included a win and a tie, the Miami University hockey team looks to heat up against the currently winless Northern Michigan University Wildcats at the Goggin Ice Center.

The RedHawks enter the weekend's series 2-1-1, while the Wildcats sit at 0-2-1. In the first games of conference play for both teams, Miami is expecting to see a high level of hockey.

"They play hard, they're well coached and they'll come after us," Head Coach Enrico Blasi said. "I expect a big battle. I think we're going to get everybody's best game and we need to be ready for it."

Northern Michigan has less depth in its lineup than the previous teams the Red and White have faced this season, but Miami is not going to overlook the team's strengths.

"They're a very hardworking team," senior Andy Miele said. "Their top two lines are very good. After that is really where we can take advantage of them. But they work really hard — they're a great second effort team. They'll really battle, so hopefully we can match that intensity."

The RedHawks want to get pucks on net early in the games to test the Northern Michigan goaltenders.

"We really want to get traffic in front of these goalies because they're two new goalies and they're not too experienced," Miele said.

Senior captain Carter Camper is happy to see junior netminder Connor Knapp back on track. After giving up five goals on nine shots in his season debut against New Hampshire Oct. 9, Knapp was back to his usual high-level play against St. Cloud. He stopped 24 shots in the 1-1 draw Saturday, 11 of which came while the 'Hawks were shorthanded.

"We knew he was going to come back, he responds well," Camper said. "He was the difference maker on Saturday, and we're really proud of him."

Led by Camper, the 'Hawks have had consistent offensive production. Camper was named CCHA Offensive Player of the Week, tallying six goals and three assists in the first four games of the season.

"We've got back-to-back RedHawks, and hopefully Miele or someone else can get (Player of the Week) for a third week in a row, that'd be pretty cool," Camper said.

Miele was happy to see production coming from Camper.

"It's awesome to have someone who has a hot stick like that," Miele said. "It's always huge to have your captain and veteran produce like that, so we're real excited for him."

The RedHawks take the ice at 7:35 p.m. Oct. 22 and 23.