'Hawks knockout Northern Kentucky

Miami University sophomore outfielder Tiyona Marshall looks at home plate while on third base. Marshall is batting .261 on the season.

Alyssa Zediker, For The Miami Student

Miami University sophomore outfielder Tiyona Marshall looks at home plate while on third base. Marshall is batting .261 on the season. (Ryan Holtz | The Miami Student)

The Miami University softball team was scheduled to play a doubleheader against Northern Kentucky University, but was only able to get one game in because of lightning. The RedHawks took the win 5-4, thanks to some late game heroics.

The RedHawks' (16-23) offense struggled to get things started and they were held scoreless until the fifth inning. Head Coach Clarisa Crowell said senior Norse pitcher Emily Schwaeble gave the 'Hawks some trouble early, but the players were able to adjust.

"Basically we laid off the junk and attacked the good pitches in the zone and when we started doing that things started to turn offensively for us," Crowell said.

In the top of the fifth inning Miami scored four runs to take a 4-1 lead heading into the bottom of the inning. However, Schwaeble responded with a three-run homer to tie the game.

"One thing that I learned is records don't mean anything because on paper Northern Kentucky may not look like a great team, but when they are out on the field they play the game hard," Crowell said.

Junior Paige Myers came in as a relief pitcher for freshman Jenna Modic, and Myers was able to hold the Norse scoreless and only allowed one hit for the rest of the game.

"When I came in and got that first strike out, I knew that everything was going to be fine, so I was just cruising for the rest of the game," Meyers said.

The second game was canceled one out short of being an official contest. It would have been a victory for the RedHawks, as they were leading 3-0.

"To think that you were one out away from a win, but have to stop because of rain and lightning, of course you had that back," Crowell said. "Though we went down there and did what we had to do, which was win a game."

Crowell said she felt positively about the way the first game went as it will help prepare them for Ball State University, who currently leads the Mid-American Conference (MAC). She said the team was able to figure out how to make adjustments at the plate.

"We needed to get that win [against Northern Kentucky], and that is great momentum going into this weekend, and hopefully we are saving that second 'W' for this weekend," Crowell said.

Going into the Ball State games the RedHawks are looking forward to the return of junior catcher Kayla Ledbetter. Additionally, they are hoping for the return of freshman outfielder Taylor Shuey, who injured her hand in the second game against Northern Kentucky.

"We have definitely done well in the MAC and these games gave us more confidence too and as long as we come out with our bats swinging I think we will be fine," Myers said. "Seeing how to lay off the rise ball, will also help us going into this weekend."

Crowell said Ball State is an offensively focused team and it can swing the bats to put up the runs. The RedHawks are working on figuring out a way to contain Ball State's offense and its top hitters.

"We can't give up the long ball this weekend, we have to keep the ball in the park, so the defense can play," Crowell said. "Hopefully we can out score them; it's going to be a weekend, where our offense has to step up."