’Hawks fall in extra innings

Photo by Andrew Katko

By Daniel Taylor, For The Miami Student

The Miami University baseball team went to extra innings for the second straight game, this time losing to Wright State University, 8-7.

After WSU took a 2-0 lead in the first inning, the RedHawks (8-29, 6-9 Mid-American Conference) battled back and forth with the Raiders.

The 'Hawks countered with three scores in the second inning after a walk and single. Junior Gary Russo unloaded on a ball for his second homer of the season.

MU surrendered two runs in the bottom half of the second on a double by sophomore Mitch Roman but tied it at 4-4 in the third. However, the Raiders led 6-4 at the bottom of that inning.

Wright State (29-10, 13-4 Horizon League) tacked on one more run to take a 7-4 lead heading into the seventh.

Three straight singles loaded the bases up before senior Kendall Johnson grounded into a fielder's choice double-play, scoring senior Ryan Elble. Redshirt freshman Spencer Dull singled home another run, and Russo added another two batters later. The game was tied at 7-7 after MU's three-run inning.

The game remained tied until the home half of the tenth, when Wright State led off the inning with a single from senior Andrew McCafferty.

McCafferty reached second base on a sacrifice bunt and scored the winning run two batters later on a double from redshirt senior Mark Fowler.

In his third start of the year, junior Brian Thene allowed six runs (four earned) on six hits in five innings.

Backup catcher junior Tommy Ricciardi made his second appearance out of the bullpen. He went 4.2 innings and allowed two earned on seven hits. Ricciardi leads the team with a 2.70 ERA in his 6.2 innings this season.

Miami faces Kent State University in a three-game conference series this weekend.

The Golden Flashes (21-16, 9-6 MAC) are tied with University of Akron for first in the East.

Kent State lost 15-5 to Penn State University Tuesday night after the Lions' nine-run first inning. KSU is 4-5 over the last nine games.

First pitch of the series is 6 p.m. Friday.