’Hawks clinch MAC tournament third seed

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University softball team claimed the third seed in the MAC Tournament this weekend as they split their last home series with Ball State University.

The 'Hawks won 1-0 Saturday and lost 7-6 Sunday. Miami (31-22, 13-7 MAC) is 6-11 in conference games decided by one run.

"It's a great weekend. The games were well played by both sides," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "Ball State is a great team. Amber and our defense played well in the first game and gave us time to score. The second game was also well played. We would've liked to have won it for our seniors but like I told them, I'll take a win next weekend over a win this weekend. I loved our energy and our effort, and that we fought to the last out. That's what the MAC Tournament's going to be like, but we're confident that we can beat anyone."

Senior outfielder Tiyona Marshall scored the only run of Saturday's game on sophomore second baseman Eryn McCarver's RBI single in the third inning.

Junior pitcher Amber Logemann (26-9) kept Ball State (29-23, 14-5 MAC) under control with a complete game shutout on four hits. Logemann also thwarted a Cardinal scoring opportunity with the bases loaded and two outs in the fourth.

Marshall accounted for two of the team's four hits on the day as the offense left several runs on the table, going 1-8 with runners on and 1-3 with runners in scoring position.

In the second game, the RedHawks struck early in the first with RBIs from junior outfielder Taylor Shuey and senior pitcher/designated player Megan Mattera. After a Ball State home run in the top of the third, the home team answered in the bottom of the inning with a two-RBI single from senior outfielder Bree Lipscomb.

The Cardinals took the lead in the fifth with an unearned run and a grand slam, but the Red and White added two in the sixth to tie it at 6-6. Lipscomb scored an unearned run and senior pitcher/third baseman Remy Edwards delivered a RBI.

BSU regained the lead in the seventh with an RBI. Miami missed the opportunity for the tying run, but a popup ended the rally.

Lipscomb and Shuey both went 2-3 on the day. Lipscomb notched two RBIs and a run scored, while Shuey totaled an RBI, a run scored and a walk. Edwards was 2-4 with an RBI.

Three pitchers saw action for the 'Hawks on the day. Sophomore Kelsey Fredericks took the loss, despite four hits and an unearned run in four innings of work.

MU also committed three defensive errors in the game, two of which resulted in runs.

"We're playing our best right now and we've been hitting the ball well," Marshall said. "This weekend, we showed that we can fight until the end, stick around and make it work. We expect to win the MAC Championship; there's no other option. We have a strong senior class this year and we're looking forward to leading the underclassmen to a title."

The RedHawks open the MAC Tournament against the No. 4 seed Northern Illinois University. Miami faced the Huskies on April 17. MU dropped a 2-1 decision before winning 4-3.

NIU has dropped its last three games, but sophomore catcher/infielder Kayti Grable is an offensive force with .413/.769/.514. hitting averages.

First pitch is at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Akron, Ohio.