Harrison Barnes is ready for the NBA

Sam Hitchcock

I was sitting in my room watching ESPN, when the network's least informative, crassly co-anchored show, SportsNation, had a segment that initially caused me to quickly fumble for the remote because Michelle Beadle was making my ears bleed.

But in hindsight, I'm glad I stayed tuned. The Skip Bayless replicant known as Colin Cowherd was narrating a segment with Beadle where the two showed NBA superstars when they were in college, commenting on how young they looked, but also how they dominated and oozed potential.

From as far back as Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, to present day stars Dwayne Wade and Kevin Durant and during all the years in-between (Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal and David Robinson), one thing that was obvious was these young kids were on a different plane than their competition.

With the NCAA Tournament finally here, let's look at the three biggest names currently in college hoops and their pro potential.

ESPN's draft insider expert, Chad Ford, has Duke University freshman Kyrie Irving as his number one prospect in his latest mock draft. If Irving matches his ceiling potential, he will be the next Russell Westbrook. He is exceptional at commanding the point, has great vision, posseses the ability to penetrate the defense and find the open man. He also has a great jumper and doesn't force shots. The downside for Irving is the little exposure he has had with fans and scouts (having seen him for only eight games).

Irving also goes to a school that notoriously produces less than competent pros. A player of his skill set could be the real deal (I see him at worst being Raymond Felton), but I would pick another player over him. More on that in a minute.

Jared Sullinger has been the best player in the nation this season and he, too, is only a freshman. He may not have the highlight reel that University of Connecticut guard Kemba Walker has, but Sullinger has shown he can score at will on who he wants, when he wants. However, Sullinger is a 6-foot-9 power forward, and the number of transcending undersized power forwards is small. I mean very, very small; as in almost nonexistent.

Sullinger's main attribute is his physicality. The list of very good 6-foot-9 power forwards in the NBA currently consists of Zach Randolph, Luis Scola and David West. Amar'e Stoudemire, Blake Griffin,and Kevin Love are listed at 6-foot-10. Sullinger reportedly has almost a 7-foot wingspan, but Stoudemire, Griffin and Love have unique defining skills that set them apart. For Stoudemire, it's his low post game, for Griffin, his offensive explosiveness and for Love, a passing vision and ability to make his teammates better. I see Sullinger at best being LaMarcus Aldridge, at worst DeJuan Blair.

Harrison Barnes is who I see fitting the bill of the 2011 NBA draft's superstar. He is a deadly shooter who explodes past defenders and his athleticism is frightening. He can take over games in a way that reminds me of Carmelo Anthony when he was at Syracuse. Barnes was the story of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) tournament leading up to the championship (where he led the University of North Carolina Tar Heels in points despite losing handily), and I have a feeling that will be the case in the NCAA Tournament.  He will show veteran poise and cool when the game is on the line, much like Anthony did for the Orange in his one and only year.

Barnes showed flashes of brilliance during the regular season (ask a University of Texas Longhorn fan), but during the ACC tournament he showed his extraordinary skills on the big stage, most notably against University of Miami and Clemson University.

Against the Hurricanes, Barnes took over the game when the Tar Heels were down by 19 with just 10 minutes to go and helped the favorites avoid an embarrassing defeat.

Barnes' encore performance came against Clemson as he pushed the Tigers to overtime and catalyzed the 9-0 run that began it. Altogether, Barnes put up 40 points, finishing 12-17 from the field.  He also was pinpoint from the charity stripe, going 10 for 11.

When the Tigers pressed, the Tar Heels found Barnes. He is head and shoulders the most talented player on his squad and is finding his way into the leadership role (best displayed by his ACC Tournament).

Barnes, and only Barnes, shows the ability to take over games in a way only the NBA's best do.