Harmful acts against members of LGBTQ+ are unacceptable on campus

TO THE EDITOR:

We write this letter to the editors of The Miami Student Newspaper as well as the larger Miami community.

Over the course of the academic year, several homophobic, heteronormative and/or homonegative events have happened - and continue to happen - on campus and to our students, faculty and staff. Most recently, just before Spring Break, a painting located outside the Women's Center was defaced with an anti-gay slur and violent markings through an image of two people kissing. Some of these instances were not intended to be hurtful, while others were malicious in their nature. But, despite the intention of these acts, members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Ally+ community were harmed. We want to acknowledge these harms and express our unwavering support to members of the LGBTQ+ community and all the allies who support and affirm them. Gender and/or sexual minorities face a number of challenges on this campus and in the Oxford community, but we want you to know that Spectrum (LGBTQ+ undergraduate student organization), GLBTQ Services, and 1809 LGBTQ Alumni support and affirm you.

We express support, care and concern for all students, faculty and staff who identify in the LGBTQ+ spectrum of identities at Miami University. These acts of hate and bias are unacceptable and disturbing. They do not reflect who we need -- and expect - the Miami community to be. Our support extends to you as an impacted individual. This is a call to come together as a community in support of one another. We also acknowledge that other underrepresented groups on campus have been harmed over the same academic year and extend to them our support.

None of these acts of bias and/or hate reflect the University's written values and are not reflective of the Miami community many of us are committed to creating. Our LGBTQ+ community is varied, vast and beautiful. Each of you are someone worth respecting and affirming just as you are today and as you might be tomorrow. Our community thrives when all members (students, faculty and staff) are accepted and celebrated for who they are, are discovering, or are becoming. We collectively want you to know that we are here for you, today and always. From across all our campuses, around the country, and throughout the world, we send support to all students at Miami, especially those in our LGBTQ+ family.

We have hundreds of Safe Zone-trained allies across campus and in the Oxford community who are willing to support and affirm you, if you just ask. While no single letter or acknowledgment can fix the harm that you may have experienced, we want you to know that we acknowledge that it has happened and that we are working daily to help create a campus that lives up to its values of inclusion and safety.

If you need help or support, please consider connecting with us or any of these services.

Love. Honor. Pride

Spectrum Executive Board

GLBTQ Services

1809 LGBT Alumni Association Board

If you need help or support please consider connecting with us or any of these services.

Spectrum: spectrum@miamioh.edu,

www.facebook.com/SpectrumMU

GLBTQ Services: glbtq@miamioh.edu, 513.529.0831

1809 LGBT Alumni Association: 1809lgbt@miamioh.edu,

www.facebook.com/groups/1809lgbtalumni/

Campus Police: (513) 529-2222

Office of Diversity Affairs: (513) 529-6504

Office for Equity and Equal Opportunity: (513) 529-7157

Office of Residence Life: (513) 529-4000

Office of the Dean of Students: (513) 529-1877

Student Counseling Service: (513) 529-4634

Psychology Clinic: (513) 529-2423

Student Health Services: (513) 529-3000

Student Legal Services: (513) 529-6019

Student Success Center: (513) 529-0007

Women's Center: (513) 529-1510

Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution: (513) 529-1417

Sexual Assault Response Coordinator: (513) 529-1870

Diversity and Mulitcultural Service (Hamilton/Middletown): (513)785-3283

Regional Dean of Students: (513)785-3128

Bias Reporting Site: https://www.miami.muohio.edu/phpapps/bir_form/