Guide to Miami hockey

Bethany Bruner

First-years (and other people who have yet to experience Miami hockey): You know we have a good hockey team. If you didn't know we had a good team before, you do now.

Because of our epicness, you're probably going to want to enjoy a game or two at the Goggin this year. For this purpose, I am providing you with a few simple suggestions so that you know what to expect when cheering Head Coach Enrico Blasi's boys on to another victory.

No. 1 - If you want a good seat, get there early. Seats in Goggin are limited. If you want to be on the glass, plan on getting there a few hours early. It's normal to be there at noon for a game at 7 p.m. Don't think you can show up 20 minutes early and push your way through the crowd. The crowd pushes back.

No. 2 – Learn the cheers. Love the Cheers. Scream the cheers. Being an active participant in cheering is key to any hockey victory at Goggin. We're not the "loudest crowd in the CCHA" because half the crowd is silent. If you don't know the words or the actions for a cheer, just yell loudly until you do.

No. 3 – Do not leave the game until it's over. We don't leave until the boys skate off the ice. If we're up 10, it's fun to be there for the whole game. If we're down 10, well, we're awesome and we won't ever be down 10. On the off chance that hell freezes over and we're losing, don't leave! The Brotherhood needs us to yell and scream and distract the other team so they can make a crazy comeback!

No. 4 - Only root for the underdog if that underdog is Miami. We're the Goliath of the hockey world most of the time. If you want to root for David, wait until we play a school from Boston in the Frozen Four.

No. 5 - Dress appropriately. By "appropriately" I mean two things. First, the game is called ice hockey, so it's in an ice arena ... it's cold. Bring a sweatshirt. Second, wear Miami gear.

No. 6 - Be creative when making signs. A regular old "Go Miami" sign is great, but it's better when you can generate laughter and awe from your fellow spectators. My personal favorite was during the Michigan State series last year. It said something about needing 300 Spartans to beat Miami.

No. 7 - Do your homework. Before you come to a game, you might want to glance over hockey rules and terms. They play periods, not quarters or halves. The breaks are called intermissions. Also, learn the words to the fight song. You'll be singing it a lot.

And for the most important rule:

No. 8 - Be respectful. The stands at Goggin are close quarters, as are the lines waiting to get in before the game. If you choose to make the trip to the Goggin this year, be respectful of the people around you. We don't all want to know about your weekend or hear the music you're listening to, so be respectful and enjoy the game!