Group travels abroad to aid needy children

Stephanie Petropoulos

One new Miami University organization is going the distance to help needy children around the world.

Through Ambassadors for Children (AFC), which is the first organization of its kind on any college campus, group members can travel to Belize, El Salvador, and Malawi, located in Southeastern Africa, to bring assistance to children who are in desperate situations - living in orphanages or at a very low poverty level.

The new organization is an offshoot of the nonprofit organization located in Indianapolis, Ind., which is also committed to providing such travel opportunities to help needy children worldwide. A group of education majors brought this chapter of AFC to Miami's campus.

The idea to start a university chapter at Miami was first introduced by senior Molly Greiner, current president of Miami's AFC chapter; senior Kileen Sanford; Karen Montgomery, assistant professor of teacher education; and Ray Terrell, special assistant to the dean in the School of Education and Allied Professions.

The idea came from a trip to El Salvador during spring break of 2005.

"From that trip we thought it would be really cool to start our own chapter," Greiner said. "It gives education majors an opportunity to go abroad, because it's difficult for us to get the chance to since our schedules are so strict and set in stone."

Greiner and Sanford, both education majors, now have the opportunity, along with any other Miami student interested, to make a difference for children in need.

"Ambassadors for Children are dedicated to helping children in need around the world," said Marissa Hirsch, member of AFC. "We bring needed supplies to orphanages, schools, or wherever else it's needed. It depends on the location. We aim to travel with a purpose."

As of now, AFC has 50 active members, 35 of which have attended the two meetings that have been held so far this year.

Since the organization was just recently approved during the spring 2006 semester, a 5K walk/run Oct. 22 will be AFC's first major event.

Proceeds from the walk will go towards children in Belize, El Salvador and Malawi.

Besides the 5K walk/run, AFC is also sponsoring a trip to Belize during Thanksgiving break, and a group of about 10 students went to El Salvador during spring break of 2006.

"This is a multicultural experience," Greiner said. "Our goal is to make a difference in the world, big or small."

For information on the 5K event, contact Hirsch at hirshmb@muohio.edu.