Green trend can have positive long-term effect

Following the Sept. 3 town hall meeting on sustainability, comments were left on The Miami Student Web site suggesting the green initiative is just a trend and a waste of money. While there are many aspects of the initiative that may be a bit over the top, like expensive vitamin water endorsed by all the celebrities, the editorial board of The Miami Student hopes some of the "green" trends stick.

Almost 80 percent of adult residents in Butler County consumed less than five fruits and vegetables per day from 2004-07, according to http://www.healthyohioprogram.org. Obesity in the region is 25 percent, and heart disease is the second leading cause of death for the county. More than ever these statistics show the importance of a healthy lifestyle, something both Miami University and Oxford are working hard to make a reality.

Miami has turned to local purchases of food for the past three years and Market Street at MacCracken carries the largest organic selection on campus, carrying many name brand organic products.

The university is also carrying the trend into academics. Miami's addition of green majors can help students move with the trend, not just let it be a phase. Students can make career paths out of the green push instead of leaving them as a hobby. By offering students the chance to learn to apply them to the real world, it doesn't seem like this trend will be passing anytime soon.

Oxford is also taking advantage of the interest around the green trend. The Oxford Farmers Market is growing this season with more vendors and a market chef. The farmers market now participates in the Ohio EBT Farmers Market Project, which aims to promote locally grown food to those who use food stamps by allowing customers to use the stamps when making purchases. Giving those with food stamps the option to buy healthy, locally grown produce instead of less healthy grocery store items is making the initiative more accessible to people who once thought going green was too expensive. The addition of the chef allows both residents and students the chance to learn new ways to cook the healthy local produce.

Students who live off campus often complain they don't know how to cook fresh foods, but the chef can help students learn to eat something other than frozen meals after their on-campus dining hall days are behind them.

While this board wouldn't mind if overpriced water left with the trend, some of the green hype can lead to healthier lifestyles and permanent improvements for both Oxford residents and Miami students.