Greeks hear Haywood's message

Jordan Furbee

This past Thursday I was sitting with my fraternity brothers at the opening ceremonies of Greek Week in Millett Hall, (I still have a headache from all of the sorority chants and songs) and I saw a few guest speakers.

Most were with the Interfraternity Council (IFC) or Panhellenic Association, but one of them looked out of place. So I looked closer and recognized who it was - Miami University Head Football Coach Mike Haywood.

Now what in the wide world of sports is our football coach, who has a huge game against Cincinnati doing in a Greek event? Beg, plead, bribe us to come add fan support to Yager Stadium?

I for one have not been the biggest fan of Haywood, and after the start we've had, how can anyone?

Yet when I listened to Haywood speak, it made me respect the man. I couldn't help but be won over by the guy's obvious efforts and struggles to change the current culture of Miami football.

This guy gets it!

He understands the team isn't the best and won't be this season. But I can tell that this time next year, we will be singing a whole new tune toward our football team.

For one, he has made some immediate changes to the team. First, there are no more football dorms. Haywood has his boys spread through campus to draw more first-years and fans to games than just those who live on North quad. Solid move.

Secondly, he's been pushing the guys insanely hard. There have early morning workouts and runs. About time.

The culture surrounding football needed a facelift and Haywood may be the man with the right knife.

Now enough damage may have been done in the past few years so that football will never surpass hockey as the Miami sport with the most attention, but Haywood is certainly not going to go down without a fight.

He knows what a proud and historically rich program this is, with all the MAC Championships and the Cradle of Coaches. Anyone in attendance Thursday got this sense while hearing him speak.

He displayed passion and excitement, was determined and focused and just flat out was having fun while speaking to 3,000 people who really couldn't have cared less, but his message reached me loud and clear.

There is a reason people should make the long walk to Yager. You will see a football team fight. Maybe not the best football team, but there will be no cakewalks when the RedHawks play.

I took Haywood's advice and watched ALL four quarters of the UC game and was pleasantly surprised.

One, this is the first time in my Miami career I stayed for the whole game, and two, the 'Hawks can play.

There are a few wrinkles here and there, but I feel like the team does have talent. They gave the Bearcats all they could handle for most of the game and at one point almost cut the lead to eight points, all against the now eighth best team in the nation!

If anybody else has doubts on Haywood, I say this: go down to the games and watch this guy coach.

He really does know what he's doing, and given enough time the man will come through for the Red and White and put some Love and Honor back into a struggling program.