Goodwill to open shop in Oxford

By Maggie Callaghan, For The Miami Student

The city of Oxford has announced that a new business, Goodwill Industries International, Inc., will be opening a store at the previous Moonshine Printing Company location on Locust Street, which has sat vacant for three years.

Goodwill, a non-profit organization that focuses on providing employment and training to the disabled and veterans as well as clothes and household items to the poor, announced it would move into the location on Locust Street, across from Walgreens, after the Oxford Board of Zoning approved the proposal during its Feb. 18 meeting.

Goodwill plans to tear down the previous Moonshine building in order to construct an addition to the standing warehouse. The organization also announced that it will have a retail store for shoppers, a merchandise drop off area for donors and a drive-thru donation center to make dropping off merchandise more convenient.

Many students, including first-year Maggie Handler, are excited about Goodwill and welcome the organization in Oxford.

"It could be a good place to find cheap, unique clothes for costumes or themed events," Handler said.

According to the Ohio Valley Goodwill website, the Oxford Goodwill location will sell items marketed to both Miami University and the Oxford community.

This will be the second non-profit organization to come to Oxford. The Family Resource Center (FRC) has provided for needy families since 1956. Located near the Oxford Walmart on US Highway 27, the FRC focuses on helping families specifically in the Talawanda School District by providing clothing, food and housing to local citizens.

FRC has long partnered with Miami student organizations to help those in the community. The non-profit organization focuses on self-sufficiency and teaching families how to provide for themselves.

Although these two non-profits have similar missions, the new Goodwill will provide additional services to the community, according to Alan Kyger, Oxford's economic developer.

Goodwill's primary focus is to provide employment and skills training for disabled persons and veterans, according to the official Goodwill website. The Ohio Valley Goodwill is one of the largest rehabilitation services providers in Ohio.

Goodwill and Family Resource Center will both participate in Oxford's ShareFest, from May 13 to May 19, which is an opportunity for Miami students to donate unwanted items to those in need.

According to Scott Webb, the architect for the site, the Oxford location will open next fall. The initial proposal included Goodwill's requests to add parking spaces in the front of building, although that is against Oxford code.

The board accepted its appeal, meaning the Oxford Goodwill will have parking in front of the store on Locust Street and a parking lot and parking spaces on Collins and Union Street.

However, Goodwill has yet to submit building and site plans, and its demolition permit has not been approved by the city.

"It is moving slower, probably because this is a non-profit," said Sam Perry, Oxford city planner. "They really wanted to come to Oxford."

Visit the Ohio Valley Goodwill website for employment and volunteer opportunities.