Golfers impress in Georgetown Intercollegiate

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

After the longest break of their fall season, the Miami University golf team competed in the Georgetown Intercollegiate, playing well rested and earning a second place finish in the 12-team field.

Shooting eight-under-par on the tournament, freshman Austin Kelly finished individually in first by a four-stroke margin in only his sixth tournament as a RedHawk.

Head Coach Casey Lubahn had a positive reaction to the newest member's performance.

"I think for a freshman in his first semester to go out and dominate a field like that is incredibly impressive," Lubahn said. "His attitude and the way he goes about his business is getting better every week. He deserved this."

Kelly was excited about his victory.

"It feels good, it feels really good," Kelly said. "I was pretty nervous today going in. I'm just kind of relieved right now that I won."

The rookie golfer said being asked to adapt to playing golf at the collegiate level while also growing accustomed to the college atmosphere outside of athletics is no easy task.

"I think I've adjusted to golf well, it takes up a lot of time," Kelly said. "The school part I'm still getting used to. It's a lot of time management. We're on the road a lot. You've kind of got to pick and choose what you want to do and focus on that."

Lubahn is thrilled to see contributions coming in from the younger players on the team. With a big performance from sophomore Blake English in the last tournament and a win from Kelly this week, Lubahn is encouraged by the depth on the roster.

"It's a huge part of what we're trying to do this year as young guys start to lead," Lubahn said. "It takes pressure off the older guys. They don't have to feel the weight of the team on their shoulders. The big thing of team golf is trusting the guys next to you, the younger guys."

Kelly said coming into the tournament he did not set his expectations for himself too high.

"I just wanted to play well," Kelly said. "Going into the last day, I was basically trying to focus on one shot at time. As I started playing better, I realized I was close to the lead. I found out I was leading on 18, which is the first time I really knew, which was probably good."

Kelly said if his team can do the same next week — focusing on one shot at a time — in the final tournament of the fall, the RedHawks will be able to find success.

"I think we have to basically just play our own games," Kelly said. "We're all really solid players. We need to focus on the process, not the outcome."

The 'Hawks tee-off in their final tournament of the season, the St. Mary's College Invitational, Oct. 25 and 26 in Pebble Beach, Calif.