Giant egg hunt to be held on campus

Erin L. Cox, For The Miami Student

Students should keep their eyes open for hidden eggs on campus Monday, April 18 for the giant egg hunt Miami University's Program Board will hold.

"I can't wait to look for eggs on my way to class," Miami senior Heather Shiets said. "If I found one it would make my day."

The egg hunt will last all day across campus and an evening portion of egg games, such as egg-on a spoon races, will take place on the Shriver Center's west patio from around 5 to 7 p.m.

"We were trying to think of things that people associate with spring," co-chair for the event Kelin Handville said.

According to Handville, close to 1,000 eggs will be hidden all over campus, but mostly on the central part of campus.

"Students can participate just by seeing an egg and picking it up," Handville said.

The majority of the hidden eggs will be regular pastel colored eggs with candy in them, but there will also be some golden eggs, Program Board Vice President of Communications Stephanie Walters said.

According to Handville, the golden eggs will have a ticket for a redeemable prize students will pick up at a later time. Prizes will include various gift cards, but primarily Visa gift cards for students to spend at a location of their choice.

"Since Program Board is based at Shriver, we wanted to do something that would involve the entire campus, not just Shriver," Walters said.

Handville said the event is a form of publicity for the Program Board.

"We thought this would be a fun way to get Program Board's name out there and get students involved," Handville said.

Walters said she thought Miami students enjoy competitive activities, so students will want to participate and it makes the event fun and exciting.

"It's hard to go to an event at a specific time," Shiets said. "Having it all day lets students be able to participate when they're free, so I think a lot of people will look for eggs in between their classes."

According to Walters, Program Board thought the egg hunt would get students excited because many students probably used to do egg hunts in their childhood.

"I used to hunt for eggs when I was a kid and I haven't in a long time," Shiets said. "This will give me a chance to relive some great childhood memories."