Get educated through social media

More than likely you're old enough to vote, right? You're a smart student, you try to stay informed on current events, you check Google news every now and then. That's definitely more than your friends back home (Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, etc.).

But how often do you check Facebook, Instagram or Twitter? Personally, one of my favorite ways to get news is through the trending section on Facebook. Sometimes it's just obscure families on the outskirts of America setting off fireworks inside or something.

Now, think about how often you see politicians on social media.

Recently, a slight 'scandal' occurred between Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) and potential presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. Paul and his staffers created a fake Pinterest account under the former Secretary of State's name, creating a wide range of 'boards.' The account pretty much consisted of satirical aspects of Clinton's life and her aspirations to be in the White House.

Once Pinterest learned of the account, the company deleted it, as it goes against their policy of creating fake accounts. This might not seem like a major interference on Clinton's potential political campaign, but it was publicized by the media at a time she probably wasn't in favor of. The first place I learned of this scandal was on my Facebook news feed.

However, I was outraged to find that this story about Pinterest accounts was higher on my news feed than recent ISIS developments.

So, how much do you know on Rand Paul or Hillary Clinton's stances on ISIS and their opinions of how to handle the situation? Probably not much. And how much do you know about Rand Paul's fake Pinterest account for Hillary Clinton. Probably more than you should.

Our vote is so important, even though it might not seem like it. It's crucial to ignore the petty and childish performances that the media offers about politicians and especially during a time of campaigning. Learn about their stances and specific topics that you're interested in. It's not about how many likes a photo gets or how many people favorite a tweet, it's about the issues at hand. The issues are staring us in the face, and one day, a presidential candidate - maybe you - will have to confront them.

Emily Dawson

dawsoneh@miamioh.edu