Garden to be planted in memory of deceased student Becca Eldemire

By Bonnie Meibers, Senior Staff Writer

A new garden will be planted between Shideler and Armstrong in remembrance of Rebecca (Becca) Eldemire.

Rebecca Eldemire's family is having a gingko biloba tree - an endangered, fan-leafed tree that can grow up to 50 feet tall - planted. A plaque next to the tree will dedicate it to Eldemire.

Eldemire was killed last year by her ex-boyfriend, Larry Tipton, in her Level 27 apartment.

She was a junior geography and sustainability co-major from New Albany, Ohio.

"She soaked up every bit of knowledge," said geography professor David Prytherch. "And she was going to use that knowledge to make the world better."

Making the world better, Prytherch said, is the aspiration of the geography department.

"Our hope is that her lasting legacy on campus is not the tragic end, but what she represented," Prytherch said. "The garden is a perfect embodiment of what she was in it for."

The garden is a collaboration between Physical Facilities and the Departments of Geography, Geology and Environmental Science.

Miami University landscape architect Vincent Cirrito said Physical Facilities recieved orders for memorial trees about 10 times per year.

During the planning of renovations to Shideler Hall, the memorial garden was cut to decrease overall costs. But faculty in the geography, geology and environmental science departments were adamant about keeping the garden in the plans, so they decided to fund it themselves.

"Becca's lasting legacy is that she inspired us to push to bring the garden idea back," Prytherch said.

He added that the garden will be a model of sustainable development. The faculty hope it will serve educational purposes and be a space for contemplation.

Eldemire had an attachment to nature and ecological restoration, said Hays Cummins, a professor in the Western Program and the Department of Geography. The garden will represent her love for restoration by planting native shrubs and pollinator plants. This garden will also have perennial plants, native wildflowers and a gravel dry creek bed, among other things, said Cirrito. He hopes to have the project finished in two months.

Eldemire was everything a professor could want in a student, Cummins said.

Cummins met Eldemire in his ecological restoration class. The class was comprised of a series of restoration teams. Eldemire's team was at Edge of the Farm conservation area and her team was involved with a drainage area where they cleared invasive species and planted native species during the semester long project.

Much of the class was self-facilitated and Eldemire took charge. She spent many hours outside of class time working on the project.

"Rebecca went above and beyond," he said. "She made a real difference."

She made a difference in Cummins' life too. He said he had a great enthusiasm and appreciation for the beautiful life that was cut short.

"I hope when it is constructed people use it as an opportunity to reflect on our relationship with the environment and what individuals can do to make a difference," Prytherch said. "That was what Becca was about."