Forum debates pros, cons of Bicentennial Student Center

Students look on during a student-run debate concerning the upcoming student center.

Sarah Salbu

During an open forum held by the Miami University Speech and Debate team Tuesday, March 3 regarding the construction of a Bicentennial Student Center, students discussed the pros and cons of the proposed building plan.

Both sides of the argument were debated, and by the end it seemed clear no distinct leaning for or against the new building had emerged.

Junior Amy Schumacher and senior Michael Jensen debated the issue, leaving the floor open for a student forum afterward. Schumacher argued in favor of the new student center because of the need for more study space. She said it would help recruit top students and create a center for students to congregate outside the classroom.

"Currently, there is no main hub to meet up," Schumacher said. "It would create a community for work and play."

In response, Jensen focused on the economic difficulties the university will face if it goes forward with the project. According to Jensen, construction and design costs total $88 million, which does not include the additional costs for tearing down Kreger Hall and redesigning Laws Hall. To help fund the building's construction, Jensen said Associated

Student Government has approved charging every student $150 to raise funds for the building, a suggestion with which he disagrees.

"The university shouldn't force students to pay," Jensen said. "Instead it should fund the radio station and debate team, both of which funding is being cut."

One issue the student center could remedy is the frustration many students encounter during the semester when seeking group study space on campus.University Ambassador Valerie Hodge voiced her concern about these frustrations during a discussion about the new building plans.

"There is a big complaint that there is not enough study room space," Hodge said.

In addition to more study space, the center would also provide offices for student organizations, according to building plans.

At the forum, some students said the university should use the facilities already here and allocate funds more efficiently. One idea suggested utilizing student organization offices in Shriver fairly by allowing organizations to use an office at various points throughout the year such as the Miami Memos sharing with another organization because they require an office for only a few months of the year.

There was also animated concern about the current economic crisis and the detrimental effects expending such large amounts of money could have on academics. Students said we should spend money on faculty salary to increase the number of professors and improve classroom opportunities.

After the debate, students were encouraged to discuss the issue further. Some students said if previous generations had not invested in the campus, then Miami would not be the same.

The issue of investing in the campus coincides with President David Hodge's message at the Charter Day celebration.

"It is our turn, our time to move Miami forward with extraordinary ideas," he said.