Guard Darrian Ringo to face domestic violence charges Thursday

Three weeks ago, after pounding at the door of the mother of his child’s apartment at 3:30 a.m., Miami University senior and RedHawks men’s basketball guard Darrian Ringo allegedly shoved his child’s mother to the ground and rushed to the bedroom to find him. The mother got up to stop Ringo, and he put his hands around her neck and pushed her on the bed.

The Oxford Police Department (OPD) filed an incident report on Tuesday, March 12, and a warrant was issued for Ringo’s arrest.

Ringo was arrested three days later on Friday, March 15 for a first-degree misdemeanor charge of domestic violence, was taken into custody and spent three nights in the Butler County Jail.

***

Ringo demanded to take his child away from the mother after he had failed to pick up the child the previous evening, after arriving at the mother’s Miami Commons apartment off Oxford Reilly Road, on Sunday, March 10, OPD officer David Morgan wrote in the incident report.

Ringo said the mother “began pushing, shoving, and slapping him before he pushed her down to get away.” The mother told Morgan she did nothing but tell Ringo to leave, at which point he shoved her down before kicking and striking her, and putting his hands around her neck.

Morgan responded to the disturbance call at 4 a.m.

He wrote the mother had no markings at all, except “a small red mark on her right knee” and “a very small red mark on her collarbone.”

Ringo did not cooperate with Morgan’s attempt to inspect him.

At first, the mother told Morgan she wanted to file charges and was willing to provide a written statement and photographs of her injuries.

As Morgan started to take Ringo into custody, he heard the mother crying in the apartment and “softly say, ‘stop.’” When Morgan reentered the apartment, the mother said she no longer wanted to press charges and that she would not provide a statement, allow photographs to be taken or show up to court.

When Morgan asked why the mother had changed her mind she said that Ringo’s family supported her, and “she didn’t want to do this.”

It’s not clear in the report what kind of support the mother was referring to.

Because Morgan no longer had a victim, written statement or evidence of injuries, he removed the handcuffs from Ringo and the mother allowed Ringo to say goodnight to their child.

Morgan drove Ringo back to his apartment because he had a suspended license and filed an informational report for future reference.

***

As a member of Miami men’s basketball team, Ringo travelled to Akron and played with the RedHawks on Monday, March 11. Miami Athletics was unaware of the incident. Athletic director David Sayler said, “I 100 percent assure you, if he had been arrested or charged, [head coach Jack] Owens wouldn’t have played him.

“I know Jack 100 percent, integrity-wise would not play someone who was arrested or charged.”

But, even though the mother of Ringo’s child did not want to pursue charges, Morgan was forced to report the incident to the state (as required by Ohio Revised Code) and a warrant was issued for Ringo’s arrest the day after he played in Akron.

Ringo was arrested on Friday, March 15 and placed in Butler County Jail.

After spending three nights in jail, Ringo met with Judge Robert Lyons via video conference for his initial hearing on Monday, March 18.

After speaking on the phone with Ringo, while the student’s image was projected on a monitor in the Oxford Courthouse, Lyons granted Ringo an OR bond – a written agreement between Ringo and the court that allowed him to be released from jail without posting bail as long as Ringo promises to appear in court for all of his future proceedings, a representative from the Butler County Area 1 clerk’s office said.

A domestic violence temporary protection order was also filed by the court, which instructed Ringo to stop abusing the mother of his child and to stay away from the mother while his criminal case was still active, according to court records.

Ringo was subsequently released from jail and later hired local, private defense attorney, Neal Schuett.

The Student reached out to Schuett, who had “no comment” at this time.

Ringo’s initial hearing was set for Thursday, March 21, but Schuett’s motion for continuance, to postpone the hearing a few more weeks, was granted, according to the court docket.

He is scheduled to appear at 8 a.m. on Thursday, April 11 at the Oxford Courthouse in front of Lyons to be formally indicted.

But, this isn’t Ringo’s first brush with the law. The Miami basketball star has a history of legal troubles in Butler County.

***

During January 2018 the Alabama-based real estate company, CDC-Oxford LLC, filed a civil suit against Ringo for not paying his rent.

CDC-Oxford LLC initially served Ringo a three-day notice to vacate the premises on Nov. 10, 2017, and again on Dec. 12, 2017.

Ringo ignored the eviction notices, forcing CDC-Oxford LLC to file a lawsuit against him to pay for the missing rent.

The real estate company eventually dropped the suit and the dispute was settled out of court.

Four months later, at 11:54 p.m. on May 14, 2018, Ringo was ticketed for going 40 miles per hour in a 25 mph zone and summoned to appear in court 10 days later.

He failed to appear in court was fined $275 in total costs. On June 1, 2018 the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) warned Ringo if he failed to pay the fine again, the BMV would notify his home state, Indiana, to suspend his license.

The following month, Ringo’s license was suspended.

***

On July 9, 2018, Miami men’s basketball announced on Twitter that Ringo would no longer be a member of the team.

Sayler said this was unrelated to Ringo’s civil suit and traffic violations, because there was no way for the department to have known without Ringo self-reporting his legal run-ins.

“Athletics would not know of these things unless the kid told us,” Sayler said. “And it’s their choice to do that.”

According to university policy, Ringo is an “uncharged suspect” and has the right to privacy when working through his legal issues.

If Ringo is found responsible for his domestic violence charge then Miami’s Office of Community Standards will investigate and sanctions will be enacted in accordance with the student conduct policy.  

Three days before Miami University fall classes were set to start for the 2018-19 school year, men’s basketball head coach Jack Owens told Steve Baker in a video interview posted to Twitter that Ringo was in the process of working himself back on the team.

Ringo started in Miami’s first game of the regular season against Butler on Nov. 10, 2018.

***

Earlier this year, at 10:43 p.m. on Feb. 19, 2019 Ringo was again cited for going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone and summoned to court on Feb. 28.

After failing to appear in court on Feb. 28, an additional order to appear was sent to Ringo on March 1 and then subsequently resent on March 11 after the original order was returned with a forwarding address.

After being released from Butler County jail following his domestic violence arrest, Ringo paid his outstanding $275 fine from his May 2018 traffic violation.

Schuett also filed and was granted two motions for continuance regarding the 2018 and 2019 traffic violations, the same day the court granted Schuett the continuance for Ringo’s criminal charges.

The dispute over Ringo’s two traffic violations will be settled at court next Thursday, during his hearing regarding the domestic violence case.

Correction: Originally the headline of this article referred to Ringo as a former Miami basketball player. Ringo is a senior and the men’s season is over, but he is currently still a member of the team.

This is a developing story. Follow us on Twitter @miamistudent, check back to miamistudent.net and pick up a copy of the paper in print on Tuesdays to follow future coverage of this case.

doyleca3@miamioh.edu

@cadoyle_18

simansec@miamioh.edu

@emilysimanskis

Comments