Football team face tough season opener

JM Rieger, Staff Writer

Looking to bounce back from a 1-11 record last season, the Miami University football team has high expectations for a team that returns 22 seniors this year as well as many other key players from last year's squad. Head Coach Michael Haywood enters his second season at Miami this year and hopes that his players will build upon their playing experience from last season.

Much like last season, the Red and White face a very difficult schedule, opening the year at Florida on Labor Day Weekend, a team that will likely be among the top 25 teams nationally, and quite possibly a team that could start the season ranked in the top 10.

The RedHawks continue their season with games at Missouri, at Cincinnati, and at Central Michigan, the defending Mid-American Conference (MAC) Champions. However, Miami still wants to approach every game in the same way, despite the added hype and pressure.

"There is definitely the realization (among the players) of playing the best team in the nation, but the only thing that we can do is to take one game at a time," redshirt junior safety Anthony Kokal said. "There is added pressure with the hype (of this game) and we just need to continue to focus and prepare for the season."

The season opener against Florida will be nationally televised on ESPN at noon and will be one of Miami's biggest games in recent history.

"We will continue to coach the same for this game as we would for any other opponent," Assistant Head Coach Bill Elias said. "We don't want to do things differently than any other game. The heat will be one of the biggest factors that we face against Florida and our players are preparing for this."

The coaching staff cannot contact players or hold official practices until Thursday, August 5, so players have been working with strength coaches on their conditioning and training this offseason. Injuries were one of the major factors that plagued the Red and White last season and are something that they need to avoid this season if they hope to improve.

Some key returning players include redshirt senior defensive back Jordan Gafford, who is back as one of the captains and leaders for the Red and White this season, as well as redshirt sophomore quarterback Zac Dysert, who had a breakthrough season last year. Dysert has looked very good this offseason and will hope to build off of his success from last season.

"Zac is ready right now to lead this team and he has worked a lot with (Offensive Coordinator Morris) Watts," Kokal said. "He took every game and has prepared well in the film room and he knows the game well."

Meanwhile, the offensive line is looking strong entering the season. Miami has a very deep and veteran squad this season, which should give them an advantage against many opponents.

Some players that have performed well this offseason include redshirt senior offensive lineman Bob Gulley, redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Matt Kennedy and redshirt junior offensive lineman Brandon Brooks. Brooks and Gulley are both coming back from injuries and will be ready for the start of the season.

"We battled a lot of injuries last year that prevented a lot of guys from playing," Elias said. "We need to be healthy and continue to improve as this season gets underway."

One of the weak points for the RedHawks last season was their rushing attack, but Miami has added some young depth to the running back position in order to take some of the pressure off of Dysert.

"There are a lot of young guys coming in with a good shot to play this season," Kokal said. "We added a lot of depth to a lot of positions this offseason, which will be very important for us this season."

Plus, for the first time in the 64 year history of the MAC, the conference has five bowl relationships, the most in its history and something for Miami to look forward to this season.

Finally, besides preparing for the season opener this offseason, the RedHawks have also taken time to give back to the community, including assisting at a Habitat for Humanity house three weeks ago.

"Community service is something that Coach Haywood stresses with our team," Kokal said. "It is good to be able to serve the community and to give back."

The season opener for Miami football is September 4 at Florida.