Football falls to Zips

Joe Gieringer, Senior Staff Writer

Despite a furious fourth quarter comeback, the Miami University football team fell to the University of Akron Zips in a 24-17 on homecoming afternoon.

The 'Hawks were in a hole early after a blocked punt set up a Jawon Chisholm score at 12:09 of the first quarter, but the bounced back with a sustained drive that ended in a touchdown catch from junior wide receiver David Frazier a few minutes later.

The third quarter was a leaky one for the injury plagued Miami defense, who were without redshirt senior captain and defensive tackle Austin Brown, among others, and lost sophomore linebacker Kent Kern in the final minutes of the game. Chisholm scored two rushing touchdowns and the Zips powered a chip shot field goal through in a three minute and 14 second span.

The RedHawks refused to go away though; in the final six minutes they traversed 105 yards, recovered an onside kick and put up 10 points, which included a game-long 44-yard passing touchdown from senior quarterback Austin Boucher to junior wide out Dawan Scott on a designed roll out to Boucher's left. It wasn't enough, however, and Akron improved to 2-6 as they ran out the clock after a failed second attempt at an onside kick.

"There's a lot of positives that we can pull from this but again, it's got to be about getting wins," interim head coach Mike Bath said. "I thought from a quarterback perspective the last two series of the game our decision making was as clean as it's been the past two weeks and almost the whole season."

With the loss, Miami drops to dead last in the Mid-American Conference, tied with Western Michigan University who is also 0-3 in conference play. Its next attempt at a win will be on the road next weekend in Athens, Ohio, when the RedHawks take on rival Ohio University.