Finance administrator sets retirement for December

Norman
Norman

Ben Garbarek

Norman

From the continuous construction all over campus to the copyright of the Miami "M," Richard Norman has had his hand in a lot of areas throughout the university.

However after eight years as the senior vice president for finance and business services and treasurer at Miami, Norman will be retiring in December.

"It's time to look at other things," Norman said. "I'll be doing a bit more sailing than I've done in a long time."

Those that have worked with Norman aren't looking forward to his departure.

"Miami is the greatest place on earth because of the people, and Richard (Norman) epitomizes that," said Steven Cady, assistant vice president of finance and business services. "He's the finest human being I've ever met."

With a wide variety of responsibilities under his two titles, Norman has been a key influence in major changes and decisions made at Miami during his tenure.

Norman is responsible for overseeing both the Hamilton and Middletown campuses, the building maintenance done by physical facilities, the investments made by the university, the daily operations of the Recreational Sports Center, Goggin Ice Center and the equestrian program, as well as the DARS office, the Miami Airport, Miami Police, and human resources-just to name a few. Norman constantly monitors these departments during his daily work.

When asked about his crowning achievements in Oxford, Norman said he was pleased with the way in which the new Goggin Ice Center came out last year, and the high voltage electrical system put into place two years ago to keep up with the electrical demands of the modern student.

Norman said that he continues to focus a large amount of time on the continuing construction on Miami's campus.

Yet despite the long list of responsibilities and people to account for, Cady said that Norman never let the pressure get to him.

Norman said he is now looking forward to spending time with his four grandchildren. He will continue to live in Oxford, staying involved despite his retirement.

"I hope to serve on the Ohio Tuition Trust Advisory Board and be around in Oxford to help when I can," Norman said.

Cady admitted that losing a person of Norman's caliber has many of his co-workers nervous.

"There's a huge sense of concern," Cady said. "We're wondering what's going to happen."

In the eyes of his co-workers, Norman's replacement will have large shoes to fill.

"I hope we can find a clone of Norman," Cady said. "He's the best I've seen in 32 years."

Cady went on to say that he consistently heard rave reviews about Norman from others working similar jobs at other universities and that Norman was highly sought after by larger institutions, although Cady did not mention names.

"He's highly respected nationwide for his profession," Cady said. "Others rave how well this university operates (under Norman)."

More so than his work, Cady praised Norman for his treatment of others in his position.

"He truly cares about the students and staff here," Cady said. "We're going to miss him in a big way."