Election winners discuss goals

Patrick Wolande, Senior Staff Writer

The Experienced Party's clean sweep of the 2010 student body elections was capped off by a record-setting margin of victory by president-elect Heath Ingram and vice president-elect Tim Hogan with 73 percent of the vote.

This year's election was the first time president and vice president ran on the same ticket.

Adam Harris, current vice president of the student body and chair of the election committee, explained the change.

"Miami (University) was the only public school in the state of Ohio that didn't have the president and the vice president on the same ticket," Harris said.

Harris said the change has many benefits.

"Just the continuity and the camaraderie of being on the same agenda," Harris said.

Ingram spoke about what it took to win in such convincing fashion.

"I'm very excited, and I'm so proud of our campaign staff," Ingram said. "You really can't win without the kind of support we received."

Part of Ingram's role as president will include working with the budget since Miami has cut an additional $5 million next year.

"I'm going to sit on the strategic priorities committee for the university," Ingram said. "One of the big goals here is that the student agenda is present in that room."

Ingram stressed he will be a strong advocate of making sure student needs are at the forefront of budget decisions.

Hogan spoke about what he is going to do as vice president.

"I really want to increase the exposure of student government," Hogan said. "I want to meet individually with student originations that are affected by things ASG (Associated Student Government) does because 85 percent of the student body is in a student organization."

Hogan also spoke of his and Ingram's vision.

"We want to take what is done internally (ASG), and expand it to the entire campus," Hogan said.

Ryan Horvath, the other presidential candidate, gave his reaction to the results.

"I'm disappointed, but disappointed in the numbers only," Horvath said. "I don't think it reflected how much work was put into this election."

Horvath also responded to murmurs of his campaign acting only as a boost for next year's election.

"I haven't even begun thinking about next year ... to think about next year at this point would just be ridiculous, especially two days after the election," Horvath said.

Mike Emling, vice president-elect of campus activities council (CAC) won with 61 percent of the vote.

"I'm honored and humbled to win," Emling said. "I'm excited to get the chance to lead CAC and to get more involved with ASG and the executive cabinet."

Emling's future plans include creating a master calendar for all student organizations, working with different departments to streamline the event planning process, encouraging more collaboration between different organizations and continuing to bring fresh ideas to CAC.

Tom Foster, vice president-elect of student organizations reflected on his 62 percent victory margin.

"It's a great honor," Foster said. "It's exciting because student organizations bring a lot to campus, and I'm going to be the person representing them within student government, representing them to the administration and working on the issues they face in their day-to-day activities."

Foster's goals include working with administrators to help make the university system more conducive to student organizations, making sure the funding process is simple and easy to understand for student organizations, working with student organizations on debt relief and being a resource for student organizations in terms of helping them.

"We had a good race," Ingram said. "It was one of the cleanest I've ever seen."

In 1962, The Miami Student reported on a statement by President John Millett on increasing student enrollment. Ideas mentioned were expanding university branches, municipal university financing and the expansion of medical education.