Economic development director leaves city

Ashley Doyle, Senior Staff Writer

The sudden departure of Oxford's Economic Development Director Darius Bobo has left the Oxford Community Improvement Corporation (OCIC) and City Manager Jane Howington in charge of Oxford's development plans until a replacement for Bobo can be found.

With Bobo's departure, Miami University students will be saying goodbye to the man who has been bringing new restaurants like Hungry Howie's Pizza to the uptown area.

"The city manager will work with the community improvement corporation to maintain the city's economic development efforts," said Jerome Conley, mayor of Oxford. "We're very comfortable with the direction this city will be economically taken."

Bobo has left to take a position as a developer in Cincinnati. With all of the recent development plans that have been taking place in Oxford, the workload that Bobo has left in the hands of OCIC and Jane Howington is not to be taken lightly.

As director of economic development, Bobo's position included working with the OCIC to create policies and plans of action for economic development, along with deciding which businesses to target in regards to building in Oxford, and whether to assist existing businesses or bring in new companies. As part of his job description, Bobo was also in charge of handling requests for money and getting loan papers through both the city and county.

"There is a void there that needs to be filled," said Alan Kyger, president of the OCIC.

Last week, immediately after Bobo's resignation, OCIC met with Howington to develop a short-term plan of action in regards to city development until a new economic development director is hired.

"The CIC board is asking City Council to go ahead and keep the position funded, whether filled or not filled, and the CIC board would like a period of time to review the position of economic development director in the city of Oxford to see if we want to continue with the same type of person we've hired in the past," Kyger said.

The opportunity to hire a new person to the position of economic development director also opens up the window for new development ideas and different goals to be set for the community. According to Kyger, a different person filling the position will bring an entirely different set of skills to the table.

Currently, OCIC is focusing development on the need for Oxford's tax base to be increased through larger Internet, data and technology-based companies. However, they are making sure to gear away from bringing in "dirty industry," such as factories, that bring with them pollution and would not be visually conducive to the city.

"All communities are always looking for a good tax base," Kyger said. "We're trying to develop some other types of businesses in and around Oxford that would be good tax providers. We feel like with an additional tax stream, the more things we can do to increase the quality of life around the area."