Drug bust, three arrested

<p>Police are investigating swastikas and antisemitic posters found in the Miami University&#x27;s campus.</p>

Police are investigating swastikas and antisemitic posters found in the Miami University's campus.

Six-month heroine investigation leads to arrests

By Maddie Wood, For The Miami Student

Three people were arrested and placed in Butler County Jail on Friday, Jan. 30 after a six-month drug trafficking investigation in Hamilton.

The case started with a tip to the Butler County Regional Narcotics (B.U.R.N.) taskforce, that lead the investigation and issued two search warrants last week.

Five grams of heroin as well as a pistol, pharmaceutical drugs and drug paraphernalia were found at 824 Gordon Smith Blvd., where the first search warrant was issued, said deputies.

Erica Buchanan, 28, was arrested and charged with trafficking and possession of drugs, and Eduardo Vela, 23, was arrested and charged with having weapons under disability.

The other search warrant was served at 872 Gordon Smith Blvd., where James Abner, 35, was arrested and charged with trafficking and possession of cocaine. Officers on the scene found over 10 grams of cocaine, as well as drug paraphernalia and about $700 in cash.

The B.U.R.N. taskforce was behind this investigation and they have been hard at work fighting increased drug trafficking, specifically heroin, over the past year. The taskforce is made up of officers from the Butler County Adult Probation, Butler County Prosecutor's Office, Butler County Sheriff's office, Fairfield Township PD, Monroe PD, Oxford PD and West Chester Township PD.

"I have agents working around the clock to stay on top of this issue and it keeps working in my favor. These agents continue to impress me with their quick action and dedication on getting these criminals and their illegal drugs off the Butler County streets." Sheriff Richard K. Jones said in a press release. "Keep those tips coming in, and we will keep arresting these people and end their illegal drug business."

Butler County had 137 total drug overdose deaths in 2014 alone, and 75.9 percent of those deaths were heroin related, according to the Butler County Coroner's office.

Data from the Butler County Sheriff's office shows B.U.R.N. investigated 238 drug cases in 2012, 25 percent of the cases dealing with heroin. Between 2012 and 2013, there was a 65 percent increase in drug cases.

2013 had 542 investigations, 28 percent regarding heroin.

The Sheriff's office continues to encourage civilians to submit drug-related tips in hopes of getting these drugs off the streets of Butler County.