Dominating the soccer record books

Carson Drake, Columnist

This weekend, the Miami University women's soccer team defeated Central Michigan University and Bowling Green State University (BGSU), clinching a share of the Mid-American Conference (MAC) regular season title.

The title marked the second time the program has won the honor in its history. The first came in 2002.

Miami's 16 wins is three fewer than the all-time program record, also set in 2002, and a win this Thursday would give the 'Hawks their first undefeated conference record in program history.

This year's team has also seen individual players achieve record seasons too. Junior midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski recorded her record breaking 10th assist on the second goal of the game Sunday. The previous single season assist record was set in 2009.

With one remaining regular season game, Zakrzewski will look to continue her impressive ball distribution against Ball State University.

Miami started slowly against a BGSU team that has not had the best of seasons with only one win. However, senior forward Jess Kodiak stepped up and played a huge role in the game, tallying two goals and adding an assist in the season finale. Junior forward Katy Dolesh also tallied a goal and an assist in the effort.

Kodiak and sophomore midfielder Kelsey Dinges have contributed a combined 20 goals and 13 assists on the season to lead the team and they show no signs of slowing down.

One of the strongest parts of this team is it has found success in each position on the field. Five women on the team have at least five goals and upwards of 20 points.

This season has been an incredible turnaround considering the team's 9-8-1 2011 record. While the addition of 11 newcomers still gives the team a young appearance, they certainly do not play that way. They play with confidence, they play with poise and best of all, they play as one.

It is clear that this team has developed an uncanny ability to share the ball and create chances for everyone on the field. The team's strong chemistry has built a potent offense. To date, it is one of the best in the conference and has resulted in 49 goals through 18 games.

Juxtaposed to the 15 goals scored by their opponents this season, the 'Hawks truly have dominated the conference in every facet of the game.

If the 'Hawks are able to win Thursday, they will go down as one of the greatest Miami teams in history.

Given the team's success thus far, I'd venture to say this team is as prepared as ever to make a long run in the conference tournament.