Dog park opens in Oxford

Vickie Hedge's 3-year-old Boston Terrier named Blue races around the new dog park on Sunday evening, August 1.

Tom Segell
, Senior Staff Writer

Vickie Hedge's 3-year-old Boston Terrier named Blue races around the new dog park on Sunday evening, August 1. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

Dogs and dog owners alike have the volunteer group Oxdog.org, a local dog owners group, to thank for their contributions and assistance with the recent unveiling a new, acre-long dog park in Oxford.

Three years in the works, the efforts to develop a dog park have been longstanding according to Mary Glasmeier, vice president of Oxdog.org.

"It [the project] actually began about three years ago, but has been stalled several times," Glasmeier said. "Things started turning around April of last year."

Finances to create the park were partly supplied by the City of Oxford, which donated 17,000 toward the development according to Glasmeier.

Glasmeier envisions the park will be extremely beneficial to the dogs, but also to the owners who get to experience the pleasantries of the park.

"For students living off-campus with dogs, they can walk or run to the dog park," said Glasmeier. "We have a wonderful park with shade, benches, and running water, and we are continuing to work on it."

Miami Senior Kevin Ross owns two pure breed American bulldogs and is enthused about venturing to the new dog park.

"It's always good to socialize your dogs with other dogs and people, and I love seeing the dogs play with eachother," said Ross. "I will try out the dog park when I get back."

As for the dogs, Glasmeier explained they couldn't be happier.

"They fetch balls and catch Frisbees all day," she said. "They enjoy playing with the other dogs and owners."

The park is located at 5160 Morning Sun Road, just north of the Best Western Sycamore Inn.