Distribution of H1N1 vaccine well-planned

President Obama declared H1N1 a national emergency Saturday, and the university is taking steps to show it is serious about keeping students healthy. Miami University's Student Health Services is obtaining H1N1 vaccine from the county within the month, as early as this week.

The county has been supplying the vaccine to young children, and the university is waiting for it to be shipped to Miami. The health center expects to receive 15,000 doses in the initial shipment. The university will distribute the vaccine at large-scale clinics in Millett Hall and Goggin Ice Center.

The editorial board of The Miami Student commends the university for obtaining the vaccine as soon as possible and for developing a plan to encourage students to get the vaccine. By setting up clinics in Millett and Goggin, Miami is making it easy for students to stop by and get the vaccine no matter where they might live on or off campus.

College students are known to cut corners when it comes to taking care of themselves, usually waiting until they are really sick to go to the health center and substituting coffee for sleep. Students pass Goggin on their way to the Recreational Sports Center and Millett is close to on-campus residence halls, off-campus houses and academic buildings.

The board hopes students take advantage of the availability of the vaccine and the university's efforts to make it as convenient as possible to receive it.

The board also hopes health services informs students these services will be available via e-mail or Blackboard. Many parents are concerned with the spread of swine flu at colleges and letting them know the vaccine is on its way can help calm some concerns.

The board also hopes health services educates students about the vaccine and its side effects. There are many rumors that surround the swine flu and the vaccine, and the public is scared about both. Informing students about the benefits and possible side effects can let them make a good decision not based on rumors.

College students are more susceptible to the virus, and board commends the university for developing a plan to stop the virus' spread and hopes students realize it is important to take the time to get vaccinated.