Discount card supports Oxford small businesses

The McGuffey Montessori School and many of Oxford's most popular local businesses have teamed up to create a discount card for students to use which will support local business, as well as several Oxford-based nonprofit organizations.

This discount card is $15 and features 22 local businesses. For that price, students can enjoy year-long discounts and special offers. The list of featured businesses includes restaurants, bars, shops and salons.

According to Jenny Ordway, who owns local boutique Juniper, the card will pay for itself after a couple of uses because all the great discounts. Each time the card is used at Juniper, shoppers will receive 15 percent off every purchase.

Students who have already purchased the card are already reaping the benefits from the discounts. According to junior Jessica Hoover, she purchased the card at Juniper and has already made several purchases.

"Even though many of the discounts are small, I go to a lot of the places featured on the card everyday," Hoover said. "I'm really hoping to use it a lot."

One of these places Hoover visits often is locally owned and operated coffee shop, Kofenya. Liz Snyder, who owns the shop, hopes the discount card will encourage students to take advantage of local places.

"I believe that having a thriving local business community is crucial to the long term viability of oxford," Snyder said. "We need Miami students to be proud of Oxford and all it has to offer, because why would anyone care for this town and respect their fellow citizens if they don't hold the businesses and community members in high regard?"

Not only does the card support local business, but also non-profit organizations that help aid the Oxford community. These organizations include the Oxford Community Choice Pantry, the Oxford Farmers Market Uptown Sprouts Program, and the Friends of the Oxford Lane Library.

"It really helps the shops," Ordway said. "It is very important to support local business and this card really helps make that happen."

Hoover said one of the main reasons she purchased the card was because it featured local business in the Oxford community and listed the local non-profits that the proceeds go to on the front of the card.

The Shop Local discount card has been sold to students for several years, but this year they hope to make it more usable for students by including a smaller version of the card that attaches to keys.

Oxford students and local residents alike can use this card at an abundance of places, many of which Snyder claims are part of what makes Oxford the town that it is.

"I don't think I could've stayed here for 13 years without the delicious cross cut fries at skippers, or without the friendly and personable service from Doug at the bike shop, or without getting the occasional pampering at Luna Blu," Snyder said. "That's just a small sampling of local businesses doing what they do- taking care of their customers and keeping us 'townies' sane."

To purchase the discount card and support local business and the Oxford community, students can find it on sale at Juniper located uptown at 9 E High St.