Dining event to recognize Black History Month

By Hannah Jolly, For The Miami Student

The Black Student Action Association (BSAA) will be hosting an event on Thursday, Feb. 25 at Harris Dining Hall, featuring cultural foods to celebrate African American heritage.

The event was planned in conjunction with Black History Month.

Tori Collins, president of BSAA, said they will be serving "soul food" at the event, including green beans, chicken, macaroni and cheese, candied yams and peach cobbler for dessert.

"All of the food is feel-good food, and we want it to be as authentic as possible," Collins said.

Jon Brubacher, interim director of dining at Miami, said he thinks the dinner will be a successful event.

"Miami Dining is proud to support a dinner honoring Black History Month, and we are appreciative of the hard work and dedication, along with the great recipes, from the BSAA organization which will make this meal a success," Brubacher said.

Collins said Miami Dining approached the BSAA with the idea of hosting the dinner. Both Miami Dining and the BSAA hope to increase cultural awareness, celebrate Black History Month and provide Miami with an enriching experience.

"When Miami Dining came to us, they wanted to really celebrate Black History Month and spread cultural awareness on campus," Collins said. "We jumped at the chance because we're always looking to spread our culture, and what better way than through a good meal?"

According to its website, BSAA was the first multicultural organization on campus. It was formed by African American students at Miami to increase and improve black representation on campus.

The dinner is tentatively in conjunction with a water drive the BSAA is planning in hopes to lend aid to Flint, Michigan. Recently, Flint's drinking water was contaminated when the city switched water sources from Lake Huron to the Flint River.

"We want to make a difference in any way possible," Collins said.

This dinner is one of many events the BSAA puts on throughout the year on Miami's campus, including an annual Homecoming Dance, Black Community Meetings, Highlighter Fundraising Party, Voices of Color and the end-of-the-year Community Block Party.

Sophomore Jenna Mrocko frequents Miami Dining's special events and said she is looking forward to the dinner.

"I've been to almost every one of the dining events Harris has put on so I'm excited to see what this one is like," said Mrocko.

Brubacher said the menu was finalized yesterday after a test run in the kitchen. The students from BSAA were allowed to make the final menu decisions.

The dinner will take place during normal business hours of Harris Dining Hall, from 5 to 8 p.m. The event will be open to all students.