December's guide to breaking out of the (Ox)box

Jillian Engel

Oxford is lit with white lights as the holiday season approaches, so check out how to celebrate winter this December with various events throughout the area.

Oxford's Holiday Festival

6 to 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5

LCNB National Bank Community Room and the Oxford Community Arts Center. Each year, hoards of families and students line up at the LCNB Bank or at the Arts Center to meet Santa and tell him what they want for Christmas during this annual holiday event. In addition to children singing carols, event-goers will have the opportunity to take a horse-drawn carriage ride Friday evening through Oxford. Saturday at the Arts Center, Oxford is hosting its first Gingerbread House Contest for all to enjoy. To learn more about the activities during the Holiday Festival and the Gingerbread Contest, contact the Oxford Parks and Recreation Department at (513) 523-6314.

Hands-on Class: From the Candy Show Window

6 to 9:30 p.m. Dec. 9

Jungle Jim's International Market, Fairfield - 18.7 miles from Oxford

Jungle Jim's always has hands-on learning experiences for the food aficionado. This December, Jungle Jim's Carol Tabone will teach foodies how to make various sweets such as nut and berry bark, cashew brittle, white chocolate cranberry, walnut fudge, chocolate truffles and Texas caramels. The cost may be $65, but it is priceless to provide holiday guests with quality desserts. To learn more about the cooking class, visit Jungle Jim's Web site at http://www.junglejims.com.

Home for the Holidays Weekend

3 to 8 p.m. Dec. 5 and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 6

Governor Bebb Perserve and Pioneer Village, Okeana - 12.2 miles from Oxford

This historic pioneer village will be decked out for Christmas like it's 1800. Visitors to the Governor Bebb Perserve and Pioneer Village will have the opportunity to take an old-fashioned picture with Santa and taste homemade apple cider and apple pie just like how the early Ohioans made it. The village will also be decorated with lights and candles as holiday music is played throughout the event. For more information about the Home for the Holidays Weekend, visit Butler County MetroParks' Web site at http://www.butlercountymetroparks.org.

An Evening with Nick Clooney

8 p.m. Dec. 19

Fitton Center for the Creative Arts, Hamilton - 13.7 miles from Oxford

In case you missed Cincinnati-native Nick Clooney's visit to Miami University two years ago, the famed journalist, news anchor and game show host will be visiting the Fitton Center to discuss journalism and the movies. Clooney, who also recently visited Darfur with his actor son, George Clooney, may also be sharing his favorite Christmas stories with guests. Tickets to the event cost $15 for Fitton Center members and $17 for non-members. Tickets include an hors d'oeuvres buffet with a wine and beer reception and the opportunity to meet Nick Clooney following his appearance. For more information about the event or how to purchase tickets, visit http://www.fittoncenter.org.