Dancing in the moonlight

Alicia Burrello and Jenn King

The Bicentennial Charter Day Ball will be here in less than two weeks and over 85 percent of the tickets are sold and are going quickly. Currently we plan on having more than 4,500 people in attendance at the gala. For those who have purchased their tickets or those who need some final information before making the purchase, we would like to provide some basic information to prepare you to party like it's 1809.

What is the Bicentennial Charter Day Ball?

It is a celebration of Miami officially becoming a university and this year it will be the hallmark event of the bicentennial year. Occurring once every three years, the Charter Day Ball brings students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community together to help commemorate the signing of the charter of Miami University and all her successes in the past and those to come. Be a part of history; celebrate her days of old and days to be.

When and where is it?

The ball takes place in a transformed Millett Hall Feb. 21, 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

What should I wear?

The event is black tie optional, so both tuxedos and suits are appropriate, as is either a short or long dresses. Tuxedos can be rented at a discounted price at Skeffingtons. See their Web site for the nearest location: http://www.skeffingtonstuxedo.com. Tuxedo rentals start at $45.

Will there be a dinner?

While a full sit down dinner will not be served, there will be plenty of hors d'oeuvres, desserts and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the night.

What type of music will be played?

The night will start with an orchestra playing ballroom and big band style music and then later switch to a disk jockey playing today's hits and yesterday's favorites. The night will be full of a variety of music including a jazz duo and Treva the pianist in the concourse.

How can I get to the ball?

Millet parking lot will be open and free of charge for the duration of the ball. Attendees will also be able to catch the Miami Metro Uptown running from 7:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.

What if I want to learn how to ballroom dance?

We will be offering dance lessons free of charge for those who want to brush up on their dancing skills. All lessons are from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Heritage Room of the Shriver Center. No sign up necessary.

Wed. Feb. 11, BallroomSun. Feb. 15, Hip hopMon. Feb. 16, BallroomTues. Feb. 17, BallroomWed. Feb. 18, Swing

Where can I buy tickets?

Tickets are selling quickly, so get yours today at either the Miami University Box Office at the Shriver Center or online at www.hdg.muohio.edu/boxoffice/. They are $35 for students, $50 for non-students and each student can purchase two at the student price.

The planning process for this event began in October 2007 and on Feb. 21, 2009 the hard work of so many individuals will come to fruition. We look forward to sharing with all of you what promises to be a great night. Preceding the event that same week will be a birthday celebration Feb. 17 in Millet Hall, the actual Charter Day. We look forward to seeing you there as well. If you have any questions, please send us an e-mail at mubb2009@gmail.com