County receives kits to test high radon levels

Christen Claytor

Miami University students might not know that January has been designated National Radon Month, but the fact that Butler County has high levels of the naturally occurring, cancer-causing gas makes the month worth noting.

Butler County is one of 10 counties in the country to receive 300 free radon-testing kits as a result of participation in the National Association of Counties' Radon Outreach Program. The program's goal is to increase awareness about radon and its harmful effects and to motivate residents to protect their health by testing their homes and preventing radon from entering.

Radon originates from the radioactive breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. The gas can be found in the air and is capable of seeping through cracks of any type of building - including offices, homes and schools - and accumulating high levels.

Butler County, along with more than half of the counties in Ohio, has a radon classification of Zone 1, which is labeled "highest potential" by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

According to Mark Boardman, director of Miami's Institute of Environmental Science, radon's impact can vary based on the type of area in which it is found.

"Radon is a gas, so any enclosed area that has poor ventilation is an area of concern -ventilation is key," Boardman said.

The worst scenario for a student living off-campus is if he or she lives in the basement of a home without ventilation, Boardman said.

According to the EPA, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, and the No.1 leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers. Out of 21,000 annual deaths caused by radon, 2,900 of them are deaths of nonsmokers.

Radon cannot be seen, smelled or tasted - however, it can be tested. The best time to test for radon is in the cooler months.

Several county departments and local organizations are hosting a Home Safety Event from 3 to 6 p.m. Jan. 29 at the Butler County Children Services Family Connections building located in Hamilton. All residents of Butler County are encouraged to attend and to receive a limited amount of kits. Last year, Butler County gave out 100 more kits than they plan to this year.

Shawna Noble, an administrative assistant in the Butler County Commissioners Office, encouraged Miami students to use their knowledge about radon to help their families as well.

"If students do not own homes in the area, they should encourage their parents to test their homes periodically and once they have the results they should call the Ohio Department of Health and make the necessary modifications to their homes in order to protect their families," Noble said.

Locally, the soil and rock that has raised concerns due to its radon level has generally been in areas north and east of Oxford, such as Dayton, and north of Middletown, according to Boardman.