Comedic group raises awareness about feminist issues

Dylan Tussel, Senior Staff Writer

Conversations involving feminism, sexuality, gender and politics are necessary for college students to engage in, but can be considered too serious and uncomfortable by many.

For this reason, Aimee Maple, co-president of Pro-Choice Miami (PCM) and vice president of the Association for Women Students (AWS), invited Broad Comedy, a group that performs songs and sketches to put a comedic spin on these types of topics, to perform during Miami University's F-week, devoted to feminism.

"We do a lot of programming about sexual assault, which is a super important topic," Maple said. "I thought it would be useful to have a performance that's funny and engaging and deals with a lot of other feminist issues."

Katie Goodman, a University of Pennsylvania alumna living in Los Angeles, founded Broad Comedy 10 years ago.

"We're trying to really change perceptions of women in this culture," Goodman said. "In fact, we were just nominated for an award for that, so I guess we're doing pretty well."

Goodman said her goal in making people laugh about serious issues is to have everyone be able to step back and put these issues into perspective.

"I hope most of all (that audience members) will be able to laugh at everything that is going on in the world in a way that helps them get perspective," Goodman said. "I believe when we're laughing at something it helps us step back from the issue, so (we) can see it more clearly."

Goodman described the long history of male dominance in the comedy scene, and how it even continues to exist a little bit today.

"This is actually a really good time for women," Goodman said.

"I've been watching for a long time and it wasn't always. We're no longer just trying to fit into the male comedy scene; there's really a gender-free comedy scene, which is important. But everyone can get it, and that's important."

Goodman said although Broad Comedy's cast is all female, its audience is always made up of about half men. Goodman and her husband, Soren Kisiel, write and direct the group's performances. Having her husband's input probably helps the group appeal to more male audience members, Goodman said.

Broad Comedy's performances are not meant to offend anyone, but Goodman expressed concern for people who might be offended by raunchiness.

"It will be raunchy, we are rated-R, and it's gleaming –– it's definitely liberal," Goodman said. "But a lot of republicans have come and enjoyed it."

Pieces Broad Comedy will perform at Miami are "Saving My Hymen for Jesus," which discusses premarital sex and "Them Next Door," which portrays a lesbian couple in a world in which everyone is gay, so when a straight couple moves in next door, everyone is horrified.

"My goal for this performance is similar to the rest of F-week … to become more familiar with feminist issues and realize that feminism is not ‘the F-word,'" Maple said. "It's not a bad word, and more people should identify with (it)."

First-year Megan Frognowski, who identifies as a fiscally conservative and socially moderate republican, is excited for Broad Comedy's performance and thinks everyone, regardless of political party identification, should attend.

"It's important because they provide a different perspective on feminist issues, but they do it in an entertaining way, so people may be more receptive to their form of communication than just listening to a speaker," Frognowski said.

"I don't really think feminist issues should be divided by political parties, so I think anyone with an open mind could learn from it."

PCM, AWS and Spectrum are sponsoring Broad Comedy's performance, which will be at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 27 in 102 Benton Hall.

The Miami University Special Events Fund, Bishop Debate Society, Diversity Fund and Women's Center provided funding for the event. Tickets are required for this event and are available for free at the Shriver Box Office.