Comedian CJ Jones shares story through sign language, performs for Silent Week

By Nisa Muhammad, For The Miami Student

CJ Jones, a comedian who is deaf, performed yesterday as part of the Sign Language & Deaf Culture Awareness club's Silent Week. Jones combined comedy with storytelling, learning and motivational speaking.

"You can communicate in so many different ways, gestures and pantomimes," he signed to the audience.

From the time the show began, words and gestures such as "applause" and "beautiful" were easy to pick up - even for the audience members who didn't know any sign language.

He began by telling the story of growing up with two deaf parents in St. Louis and having spinal meningitis that ultimately left him deaf at the age of seven.

The majority of the audience members studied sign language. However, an extensive knowledge of sign language wasn't needed to enjoy the performance.

"It was really interesting to see. It's very visual. You can create a whole story without signing a single word. It's very dramatic, but that's what sign language is," said first-year Gaby Hammarlund.

Although there were two interpreters present, Jones frequently used his voice for sound effects and speaking in general.

"I love music," Jones said. "I can feel the rhythm in my body."

He also performed a rap for the audience, similar to what he did on the hit show "A Different World" two decades ago.

During the event, Jones invited audience members to join him onstage at random. He showed signs of the words "hate," "love" and "show off" and asked how they would express those words using body movements.

He did this to further teach people ways to express themselves using their bodies. He also incorporated a game of telephone among the people he called onstage using body movements and rhythm.

At the end of the event, Jones said if there was anything he could teach the audience to sign it was "I appreciate you. I thank you. I love you." He then urged audience members to say it to each other, and to say it to themselves every morning.

"I really enjoyed it," said junior Kenzel Patterson. "Don't be afraid to use motions and move when you talk. Respect everyone's differences and characteristics. We're not all the same."

Leading up to the event, the Sign Language & Deaf Culture Awareness club had a silent dinner at Fiesta Charra on Monday, a showing of the film "Children of a Lesser God" on Tuesday and Puttin' On the Hits on Wednesday.

Puttin' On the Hits is an annual dance competition hosted by the Delta Zeta sorority. The Greek-wide dance competition featured a performance by students from St. Rita School for the Deaf in Cincinnati, incorporating American Sign Language.

More of the comedian can be seen in the upcoming action movie "Baby Driver," starring Jamie Foxx, Kevin Spacey, Lily James, Jon Hamm and Ansel Elgort. Jones has also been featured in "See What I'm Saying: The Deaf Entertainers Documentary" and "Children of a Lesser God."

"Language is inclusive," Jones said. "It's in me. It's in you."