College is stressful: Miami can help

By Hannah Meibers, The Miami Student

Through the laboring classes, important meetings, time consuming relationships, hours of homework, and social expectations, it's easy to forget about your mental and physical health in college. There are warnings all over social media about the stress that comes with the freedom of college. However, there's no way to prepare for the stressful days and nights in and out of your dorm room.

Miami University is spreading awareness the week of Oct. 3 through its Suicide Prevention Week. For a stressed college student, this week is very important and very valuable. Through various activities and talks, students can learn different stress relieving techniques for themselves and for their friends.

As a college freshman, without mommy and daddy to tend to my every need, college is already a strenuous time. Being away from home during times of stress is even more difficult. Once on Miami's campus, I had to tweak some of my personal stress relieving techniques. Luckily, my favorite and most effective strategies are easily accessible.

Music.

Music is all over Miami's campus. Whether it's blasting out of Brick Street's speakers, billowing out of a dorm resident's window, or blaring out of a radio as a car zooms by, there is no scarcity of my dearest friend: music. Beyond simply hearing my favorite Kanye song or The Fray album, I love making music. The majority of the dorms on campus are home to a community piano. Having access to such an instrument is a stress reliever in itself. When I waltz into the basement of my residence hall, I'm always greeted with a talented pianist playing their favorite tune. Even if you deny the therapeutic effect of music, you can't deny the way it makes you move your hips or nod your head.

Hobbies.

Miami University offers every opportunity. Whether it's volunteering for Crossroads, playing Ultimate Frisbee, horseback riding or dancing for a team or simply in the bars, Miami gives you the chance to always be involved.

Personally, my hobby is writing. Writing for the The Miami Student is therapeutic in itself, but beyond the newspaper I also keep a journal. Contrary to belief, I don't spill all my juicy secrets onto paper. However, I do spill my imagination onto paper. Simply exhuming your creativity will rid your body of great amounts of stress.

Talking.

Outside of Miami's Student Counseling Services, there are numerous ears across campus that are willing to listen. Whether it's to complain about a class you just can't get that A in or to discuss the heavy sadness you just can't get rid of, there will always be someone to talk to. I firmly believe that talking and writing are one in the same.

However, receiving a reaction or a couple words of wisdom in return can be a very comforting process. For example, this past week, I was struggling with an internal conflict. The conflict built up, creating a great amount of stress, affecting my relationship with my school work and friends. As I sat in my dorm room, I dreaded faking a smile for my roommate once again.

But as she entered the room after her long, restless day, she asked if I wanted to talk. Once my mouth began moving, it didn't stop. The amount of weight that was lifted off my shoulders from a stream of conscious was so immense. The power of talking clears mind, heart and body.

And if you can't find someone who will listen, I certainly will.

meiberhl@miamioh.edu