Clash at Cady

Trish Engelman

For the second time in a year, the state of Michigan and the state of Ohio will face off in a battle between the top two teams in the nation. However, this time the University of Michigan will not face the Buckeyes on the gridiron, but the RedHawks on the ice as the No. 2 Wolverines will come to Steve Cady Arena for the first time to do battle with the No. 1 team in the country, the Miami University RedHawks.

"It is always fun to play games like this in front of your home crowd," senior captain Ryan Jones said. "There is no doubt that the arena and campus

are going to be rocking this weekend, and we look forward to putting on a good show."

The Red and White will welcome back to the ice senior Nathan Davis who has been plagued by injuries this season and last skated in a game against the Alaska-Fairbanks University Nanooks Dec. 8.

"Personally I am just about bursting with excitement," Davis said. "It's been a really challenging year with this string of injuries and as fun as it has been to watch us win weekend after weekend, it's been odd to not be out there with the guys. At this point I am just trying to approach things day by day and make sure that when I finally suit up again I can contribute to this team as best as I can."

In their most recent series, the RedHawks swept Alaska Fairbanks on the road after downing the Nanooks 2-0 Feb. 25, and 7-2 Feb. 26. The 'Hawks were idle last weekend.

As for the opposing side, the Wolverines are coming off two 3-3 overtime ties against Northern Michigan University. Michigan is winless in its last four games, going 0-1-3 in that span against both Michigan State University and Northern Michigan.

The last time the two teams faced each other was in October 2006 in Ann Arbor. Miami fell to the Wolverines 6-3 in the first game, before rebounding to beat Michigan on the road for the first time in 12 years with a 4-1 victory.

"Michigan is a very talented offensive team and extremely dangerous on the rush," junior goaltender Jeff Zatkoff said. "The less opportunities we give them the better."

The RedHawks know they will have to be at their best the entire game. Despite a four-game winless streak, Zatkoff and the rest of the RedHawks know Michigan possesses a very potent offense and will be looking to make a statement of its own.

"We want to make sure we play a full 60 minutes and not leave anything to chance," Zatkoff said. "They will be one of our toughest tests this season, if not the toughest."

Indeed, the stakes are high for the Michigan-Miami face-off, and not something the Red and White has been taking lightly during its week off, as the team understands its intense focus and preparation are vital to coming out on top.

"We are really going to have to focus on what we do best, possess the puck down low and control the pace of the game," Jones said. "If we stay in our systems I like our chances of coming out with a win."

Although the RedHawks like to treat every competition with the same respect, the 'Hawks know they will have to tailor their strategy and preparation for a team such as Michigan, known for bringing the fire to the ice early in the game.

"Traditionally Michigan is a team that likes to come flying out of the gates," Jones said. "They have a lot of power and can score at will if you get into the run and gun game with them."

Despite the pressure facing this weekend's series, Zatkoff said he is ready for a game of this magnitude.

"These types of games, with so much on the line, are a lot easier to get up for," he said. "As an athlete, these are the games you love and want to play in."

The resounding fans at the Steve Cady Arena have provided Miami with the leverage it needs all season long in order to arrive for each game in full force. The fans will indisputably bring the hype to the Goggin Feb. 8, when it is needed most.

Playing in his final weekend series against the Wolverines, Davis is excited about what this series means to Miami and the hockey program.

"I think that as a team we could not possibly be any more excited to be playing this series at home with the excitement that has been growing for the past few weeks," Davis said. "From all the build up so far I think all of us are expecting this to be a weekend that we will remember for a long time. I can't think of a scenario that could possibly outdo this in terms of excitement and energy. I think that without a doubt these two games will be the most fun in my time at Miami and I know we can't wait to see what kind of energy and excitement the students are going to bring."

All the anticipation will finally be over when the puck drops at 8:05 p.m. Friday night and 7:35 p.m. Saturday night.