City of Oxford attempts to acquire Amtrak stop to alleviate travel frustrations

Amelia Wester, For The Miami Student

Affordable transportation to and from Oxford can be a challenge for students. A train or bus stop in Oxford would be one affordable way to travel but according to Alan Kyger, economic development director for the city of Oxford, the nearest Amtrak stop is in Connersville, Ind., about 45 minutes to an hour outside of Oxford.

In order to alleviate student's transportation woes, the city has been trying to get Amtrak to move its Connersville stop to Oxford, according to Kyger. However, Kyger said this move would have positive and negative consequences for Oxford.

Kyger said it would benefit the community because it would attract more tourists to Oxford. But he said he also believes the inconvenient times Amtrak tends to stop, 2 a.m. for example, would result in a loss of ridership.

Kyger said the lack of transportation has not always been the case. Half a century ago, there was a railroad stop in Oxford. However, this passenger service was halted in the 1940s or 1950s. Kyger is not exactly sure why this service was terminated; however, he said it was probably because at some point the route ceased to be profitable.

Kyger said there was a time in Oxford's history when there was a bus stop in front of The Den, located on High Street, which provided transportation out of the city.

Miami University students had mixed reactions to the lack of public transportation in Oxford.

First-year Erin O'Neal said she uses other ways to get home for breaks, including the charter bus service and getting rides from friends. O'Neal said she has not had any trouble getting home and has friends who drive and are willing to give her a ride.

"The university already has the bus [the charter bus service to Cleveland/Akron and Chicago areas] and transport to airport," O'Neal said. "As long as they have that, I think it's good enough."

On the contrary, first-year Alex Pettiford said he has had a hard time finding transportation home to Washington, D.C., even for breaks. He said every time he wants to go home he has to pay someone to take him to Cincinnati and then get on a plane or have his parents drive 10 hours to pick him up.

"I believe there should be a free shuttle to the nearest train or bus station," Pettiford said.