Cincinnati coach should concentrate on football

­­­­As the Miami University football team prepares for Saturday's game against the University of Cincinnati, UC Head Football Coach Brian Kelly has made recent remarks indicating he may wish to end the regional football rivalry between the two schools. While saying he respects the rivalry and does want to play Miami, Kelly argued that UC is a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) team and anytime they play a non-BCS team, they need to evaluate whether or not they should play that particular team. He also stated he would prefer the two teams meet at a neutral field. The Miami Student believes Coach Kelly's comments lack a coherent point and are made only out of frustration with the fact that UC has a difficult time playing and beating Miami in Oxford.

The RedHawks have not lost to the Bearcats at Yager Stadium since 1999. In 2005, the same season the Bearcats joined the Big East Conference, the RedHawks stomped the Bearcats 44-16.

With the widespread coverage of Appalachian State's astonishing defeat of the Michigan Wolverines still fresh in people's minds, it seems as though Coach Kelly is concerned his good 2-0 team will leave Miami 2-1. And despite being a BCS team, UC is certainly not a college football powerhouse.

Their historical record against Miami proves this. The non-BCS RedHawks hold a 59-45-7 advantage over the Bearcats in the 112 games played since the 1888 season.

That rich history is what needs to be preserved most between the two teams. The 112 games dating back to 1888 are the fifth longest rivalry in all of sports and the biggest non-conference rivalry in college football. The victors of the games gain the spoils of the Victory Bell-a bell with a long history itself-first being used at the old Harrison Hall on campus and rung after each Miami victory. To end the Battle of Victory and its incredible chronicle through history over Coach Kelly's fears of losing is simply ridiculous.

Kelly's further argument that perhaps the game should be played at a neutral field also appears unfounded. Miami and UC are separated by a mere 50-minute drive along U.S Route 27. Geographically, Miami is closer than any other school UC is playing at this season by more than 100 miles. And Kelly even negates his own argument by conceding the obvious point that college football games are best played on campuses where students have easy access to the event and victory or defeat is felt by the fans. And the last problem is the fact that no neutral field even exists between Oxford and Cincinnati. Ultimately, Coach Kelly should be concentrating on coaching his football team and not changing this regional rivalry-though The Miami Student certainly does appreciate his efforts in inspiring the RedHawks football team to beat the Bearcats once again at Yaeger Stadium.