Children's Hospital to benefit from medical fraternity banquet

Vic Brotzman

Overnight beds for parents staying with their children in the hospital and medical transportation are just two of the needs that could be financed with the proceeds from Phi Delta Epsilon's charity banquet Feb. 16.

The event begins at 5:30 p.m. in the Heritage Room of Shriver Center, with all proceeds benefiting the Children's Miracle Network and its local affiliate, Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

According to Phi Delta Epsilon's president, Ken MacKinlay, the benefits from the evening will go to the families of children struggling to pay for their medical expenses.

"We're a new chapter, and we're trying to start something great that we can continue with every year," MacKinlay said.

According to MacKinlay, Phi Delta Epsilon, a medical fraternity, started with only 22 members, but currently has 60. The fraternity's two faculty advisers, Robert Sherman and David Pennock, said that this small group of students was the driving force behind the plan from the beginning.

"This is an amazing effort from this group and I am very impressed," Pennock said. "When they first came to me with the idea, I thought there was no way it could work, but they succeeded despite my skepticism."

Sherman said he was surprised by the students' determination to put on this event.

"These students are amazing to me," Sherman said. "They are so motivated."

Sarah Sullivan, donor relations officer at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, said all the funds raised by Phi Delta Epsilon will go directly to the local hospital, and that they are impressed with the students' efforts.

"I can tell that it's something that they take a lot of pride in," Sullivan said. "We're very proud of the students and that they want to be involved to help the children. As long as they want to stay involved, we'll support them."

Sullivan said that more college students are taking an interest in supporting certain philanthropic organizations, but it is still uncommon for such a unique event to be organized by a group of them. She said the funds raised will stay in the Cincinnati area, and go toward a variety of needs, such as overnight beds for parents staying at the hospital, as well as medical transportation.

Miami University's Panhellenic Association President Erika Wirtz said it's not all that uncommon for sororities and fraternities to think local when it comes to the philanthropies they choose.

"Most fraternities and sororities have national philanthropies they support, but they tend to focus in on the local chapters of those groups," Wirtz said. "For example, my sorority is involved with the Ronald McDonald House and although it's a national organization, we do events at Ronald McDonald houses in the Cincinnati and Columbus areas."

The evening will include a fully catered dinner; silent auction; a musical performance by Miami's a cappella group, The Cheezies; and music from members of Miami's orchestra. Also, the families of two children receiving aid at the hospital will be present, and will speak about their experiences.

Donated prizes in the auction include gemstone jewelry, sports apparel, a hot air balloon ride for up to four people, and dinner for six with President David Hodge and his wife and University Ambassador Valerie Hodge.

Cost for this event is $100 for adults and $50 for Miami students. Tickets can be purchased at the Shriver Center box office.