Censure appropriate, yet court reform begs re-do

Recent developments in the Associated Student Government (ASG) crisis warrant further examinations of this university-level political process. Student senate has not only passed a bill (co-written by the chief justice of student court) that modifies court process, but has also passed a motion to censure the actions of ASG President Mike Scott. The editorial board of The Miami Student agrees with the senate that a censure was the appropriate course of action in response to Scott's executive orders, but we find problems with portions of the court reform bill. In the end, we feel that this whole ordeal has robbed ASG of much of the momentum that the last elections created.

First, we agree that the censure was appropriate. It was a reasonable response by the senate, and did not act in a way-such as impeachment-that could have paralyzed the ASG process. We are currently faced with a stagnation in the policy-making process, one that seemingly replicates itself during every ASG debacle. In terms of the executive branch, Scott must be able to manage both formal criticism and his duties as an executive simultaneously, despite the task's difficulty. If Scott wishes to preserve his legacy, he must not allow this process of legislative checks stall progress.

Next, this editorial board is disheartened by the court reform act that seeks to address non-disciplinary actions on a case-by-case basis, rather than in a precedent-driven fashion. Non-disciplinary cases are not wholly inclusive of ASG disputes and rarely occur-the last one being five years ago. It is thus critically important that the court is mandated and able to make decisions based on precedent, and that the tradition of student court rulings is one that will support further decisions. Case-by-case decisions foster rulings that are detached from prior cases and break with the idea that the court and senate are entities steeped in parallel evolution. The court should parallel the senate.

This board does applaud the decision to mandate written court decisions in non-disciplinary matters. Such action will, we hope, ensure that the court can defend its decisions to the letter and unequivocally allow interested students, faculty and staff to view the thought process behind rulings.

This board also feels that between election cycles, there must be some review of senate's actions. One branch of this government cannot go unscathed and cannot act without checks from other branches. Senate has passed the censure and the court reform, but should be wary of its use of the Nullification Act.

It is our hope that ASG can move beyond these challenging times and right itself before the proverbial ship sinks.