After reading Kyle Hayden’s leftist condemnation of capitalism, I find it funny how the journalists and philosophers are always so quick to condemn the markets without offering any real alternative. While they sit around and discuss the moralities of working for a living and trying to maximize wealth for yourself, the business men and women are the ones spending 12 hours a day in internships trying to build something out of nothing.

The truth is that capitalism is the single greatest thing to happen to the world since the invention of the wheel. While it’s true the system is not infallible, and, at times, causes strife and harm, it has provided us wealth and resources never before seen in human history. Through the dream of creating something great and the perspiration necessary with it, we have connected ourselves in ways we never could have imagined. Capitalism, along with the goal of earning as much for ourselves and our families as possible, has lead to the creation of the automobile, the telephone, television, internet and every other item we hold dear.

Sitting in a room and discussing how nice it would be if we had an alternative to it has not helped those without healthcare or in poverty — only opportunity can do that.

Kyle’s opinions are not new. One only has to look to socialist France or Greece to see how dangerous they can be. While it is a novel idea to imagine a world where everyone is provided for, the fundamental question that remains is what happens when they run out of other peoples’ money? The answer is a group of people who are overly reliant on the government and massive recession.

While not perfect, the United States of America always has been, and remains, the last, best hope for the world. As Europe falls into chaos and China enters great economic uncertainty, we soldier on.

In the past 10 years alone, American capitalism has gifted the world with new and bright economic industries. Through social networks we can connect with anyone in the world and through sustainable batteries we are one step closer to ending our reliance on fossil fuels. While the past eight years for us have been economically trying, the capitalist system is the only one that is sustainable.

We must resist useless negativity and the urge to change it. People from all over the world risk their lives to escape socialism and experience everything the United States has to offer. We cannot let that sacrifice be in vain. Greed is good, capitalism is the universal language and may God Bless America.

Patrick Freund