Business school denies two dean applicants and continues search

Catherine Monceaux, Campus Editor

Miami University will be resuming the search for a new dean of the Farmer School of Business (FSB) in early fall of this year after neither of the two final candidates were selected by Provost Bobby Gempesaw and President David Hodge.

According to Gempesaw, searches are typically done during the academic year.

"We will conduct and start the search earlier, at the start of the fall semester sometime in August, since the previous search we conducted a little bit late," Gempesaw said.

Both of the final candidates were highly qualified and, according to Gempesaw, each had job offers from other business schools in addition to Miami's.

According to Gempesaw, the search will be open to all qualified candidates and will not exclude candidates who have previously applied and been eliminated by the search committee that was created fall 2012.

"It's a nationwide, open search and any qualified candidate may apply," he said.

Junior Sam Korach attended both sessions in which students were able to speak with the two final candidates, he said both seemed to be very good candidates, but not for Miami's FSB. According to Korach, a lot of the initiatives the candidates have achieved were things Miami has already accomplished, such as improving the study abroad program.

Korach said it is good that neither candidate was selected if neither was the most qualified individual for the position and there is potential for more candidates to apply when the search resumes in the fall.

When the next dean of FSB is selected, Korach said he hopes they will maintain qualities of past deans such as a continued involvement with students, an understanding of Miami's culture and being a mentor for students.

"The biggest goal of the dean is obviously just being the face of the school, being able to raise funds, having an established network and being the person that you want touring around a big time potential trustee or potential donor," Korach said. "...Being able to sell us requires knowing us."

According to Gempesaw, while Miami continues the search for the new dean of FSB, Raymond Gorman, previous associate provost, associate vice president for academic affairs and professor of finance, will continue in the position.

"Dr. Gorman will remain as the interim dean until such time that we appoint a permanent dean," Gempesaw said.