Brill Library brings global climate change event to MU

Kelly Fryberger

Global warming is coming to Miami.

At least to Brill Science Library.

The library is sponsoring the Global Awareness and Information Access (GAIA) event, from 12:30-4:30 p.m. Oct. 5, which will include prizes, food, photographs and exhibitions on climates found throughout the world, explained Eric Resnis, an engineering librarian at Brill.

William Burns, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Law and Policy from the Santa Clara University School of Law, will be the event's keynote speaker.

Each climate display will feature information about the positive and negative implications on global climate change and current worldwide trends.

According to Resnis, the exhibitions will be intended to allow viewers to make their own decisions about global climate change, armed with the right facts.

Resnis, who has been involved with the project for the past two years, has high hopes for the event.

"We're hoping to accomplish two things: To help students get acquainted with the library ... and to provide newfound knowledge that will help people make (their) own decisions on global climate change," Resnis said.

Similar events have occurred at Brill during the past two years, but this year's event was put on with the hopes of attracting even more students, Resnis explained.

Many first-year students are expected to attend, Resnis said, with the open house specifically directed toward first-year students to introduce them to the library, which is located on the west side of the Hughes Laboratory facility.

However, Resnis said the coordinators of the event also hope that the topic will draw a variety of other students as well.

Ryan D. Cook, a first-year student, said that he was planning on attending.

"If I knew how to use (the library) I would definitely would," Cook said. "I am taking a lot of science courses and most of the books there are science related."

According to Resnis, the library faculty members, as well as members of the Institute of Environmental Sciences, have been working since May to get the event ready for the fall.

During his keynote speech-which will be held on the third floor of Brill at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 5-Burns will be discussing global climate change and marine ecosystems. He will also be speaking at the climate change symposium Oct. 6.

A photography contest will also be held as part of the event's activities, featuring nature-focused photographs. Photographs will be on display and judged during the event, with prizes awarded later in the day. Prizes are scheduled to include gift certificates from local restaurants, in addition to a photo printer. Submission for photographs will be accepted until Oct. 4.