Brick Street invests in future with facelift

Skybox’s new dance floor features a Redbull Bar.

Billy Rafael, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Skybox’s new dance floor features a Redbull Bar. (Billy Rafael | The Miami Student)

Returning Miami University students who have made their way up to Brick Street Bar & Grill this semester have surely noticed a few changes that owners Mark and Will Weisman made over the summer. Always looking to better their bar, the Weismans put Brick through several extensive renovations totalling over $600,000.

"We're always trying to enhance the student experience," Will said. "We want Brick Street to be one of the best college bars in the country."

Perhaps the biggest and most eye-catching renovation is the new dance floor. A psychedelic blend of neon colors light up the room, especially when the upgraded light system is in full effect.

Skybox, the bar's 21-and-up section upstairs, has doubled in size, extending the bar that was already there and adding its own separate dance floor, six new bathrooms and a Red Bull bar. They've also put in new speakers, a new mixer, a new air conditioning unit and 20 phone charging stations.

The changes haven't gone unnoticed by the student body.

"I think the new renovations at Brick have really upped the student appeal of the bar," sophomore Ed Krulewitch said. "All the upgrades inside allow for it to stand out against the other bars in Oxford and hopefully will bring in even bigger concerts."

The Weismans are also excited about their fall concert lineup, starting off with underground hip-hop artist Logic on Sept 23. Following him is Brett Eldredge on Oct 3. Eldredge will be kicking off his first-ever headlining tour in Oxford for his new album "Bring You Back." Country fans might recognize his number one hit "Don't Ya." Also topping the country charts is Dustin Lynch, who will be performing at Brick on Oct 30.

And who could forget Barstool Blackout? For those unfamiliar with the event, a quick Youtube search should answer any questions. The touring party will be back on Nov 14 at their favorite venue.

"[Barstool Blackout] loves us here in Oxford," Will said. "We were the only venue last year to sell out three nights."

Although tickets sold out in under 15 minutes this year, according to Will, those aching to get in on the fun should ask around to try and find that person who bought a ticket without realizing they have an 8:30 a.m. exam the next day.

"The atmosphere of Barstool Blackout is unreal and unparalleled," sophomore Nick Chagin, who attended the event at Brick Street last year, said. "I went with three upperclassmen and as a freshman, I had no idea what I was stepping into. I was there right when tickets went on sale this year and would encourage anyone who has the chance to go. You won't be disappointed."

For more information on all the events Brick Street has going on this year, stop by or visit them online at www.brickstreetbar.com.

All new floors and electronic upgrades aim to take Brick to the next level. (Billy Rafael | The Miami Student)