Beat the break-ins: a holiday how-to for protecting your off-campus home

With a slew of break-ins this fall, many students leaving for Thanksgiving and winter breaks are taking extra precautions to ensure their houses and belongings are safe while they are away.

"Over holiday breaks, there are very few people remaining in the Mile Square of Oxford, which is normally occupied by students," Sarah Rodbro, owner of Red Brick Property Management said. "During this time period, criminals will take this opportunity to come into town to burglarize properties."

According to Rodbro, it is critical for students to take an active role in protecting their property and belongings. She encourages students to lock all doors and windows - especially those on the first floor - before leaving town.

"This seems so common sense," Oxford Police Department Sargent John Varley said. "But so many students accidentally forget."

Some students are unaware that there is an optional vacant house check available to students leaving town for extended periods of time. The service is free to any student who fills out the required form, often supplied by their realtor.

"The Oxford police department will check your property to verify that it is safe while it is vacant," Rodbro said. "This is strongly recommended."

In addition, Red Brick suggests leaving at least one inside light on, keeping one car parked in the driveway, and temporarily stopping any mail or newspaper services to avoid looking like a target for potential burglars.

"We tell students to cover up any flat screen TV's or other valuables left in the home with a blanket," Rodbro said. "That way, they cannot be seen through the windows."

Local realtors also advise students to protect their homes in other ways before leaving for break. It is suggested that students leave their heating on during their time away from Oxford to avoid any damages to the home.

"Ideally, we suggest that students leave their heating on at sixty degrees while they are gone," Tom Schmates, of Schmates Home Rentals said.

The heat should protect vacant homes from experiencing any inconvenient damages, such as pipes bursting.

According to Rodbro, many students turn the heating off completely to avoid a higher utility bill, but this is very dangerous.

"Disregarding this could potentially lead to damage to the pipes and costly structural damage to your residence," Rodbro said.

Many realtors suggest students that get their houses cleaned professionally before leaving town for the semester.

"For students who do not feel like cleaning their homes during finals, we recommend they call a professional service," Schmates said. "I recommend Serious Susan's Maid and Cleaning Service because of her reasonable pricing."

The service offers deep cleaning for kitchen and bathrooms along with post-party cleaning. Schmates Rentals often recommends to parents to purchase a cleaning service instead of a traditional care package during the holiday season.

Rodbro also suggests a professional service to their renters.

"If students are interested in house cleaning before they depart or even after they leave, we highly recommend contacting Sunshine Cleaning," Rodbro said. "Judy Koch is bonded and insured and has taken care of many students' needs in the past."